• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Explorer oil pan

crawler73

Doing the explorer swap and was wondering in the explorer oil pan stay on or do I need to swap over the stock oil pan to the explorer motor. Looks like it would work but I thought I would through it out there before I find out the hard way.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
The aluminum pans have a reputation for cracking from impacts due to being cast aluminum.

Here is a steel pan that should work:

http://www.autozone.com/internal-en.../1997/8-cylinders-p-5-0l-efi/724957_209453_0/

The Explorer oil pan is a better choice for the Explorer engine and will work in a Bronco, the Explorer engine has the dipstick in the block and with the Explorer pan you don't need to worry about the leaks around the dipstick fitting.

TN1776

Bronco Guru
The explorer oil pan works just fine in an EB. My buddy has run it for years.

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
I run the aluminum pan. While it's not impossible to hit the pan on something, it sure would be difficult. The front crossmember and axle are there protecting it. There's a few of us here in Socal that have been running them for quite a while.

Mark

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
From what I have seen the problem is not hitting something with the oil pan but having a rock thrown up by the tires.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Cracking the aluminum pan on the diff while catching air is a common problem that leads to an early departure from the weekend of Bronco fun... btw, it didn't happen to me.. many of us have "clearanced" our steel pans without issue where the cast aluminum pans life is over.