• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

explorer parts list and HP question

OP
OP
maverickconner

maverickconner

Your killing me man, how about I do this.... compromise.... I will build a useful harness out of the exploder.....I will try and piece one together for fun... I will submit to the A9 and distributor....

at least go with me on this... remember that is what this is about,,, finding practical ways to do these conversions....

DanWheeler

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kirkland, WA
I guess that would work, but you'll need to run new wires for the coil, distributor, BP sensor, ACT sensor and maybe change the plug on the MAF. Not sure if you could use the Explorer MAF. You would be able to re-use the harness for the injectors, TPS, 02 sensors and ECT.

Then you will need the plug for the Mustang ECU which you'll have to get from a mustang harness. At that point, it would really make more sense to just use the Mustang harness since you bought it for the plug anyway.

You'll have to trace 2 wires for each injector, 3 for TPS, 2 for ECT and all the other sensors I listed above and splice them into the Mustang ECU plug.

OP
OP
maverickconner

maverickconner

Sorry for the delay, just moved down to Craig, Alaska... its freeecking great....

anyhow, you have got to stop all this logic, its becoming a downer... ;) but I do see what you are saying. I still think it would be nice for the computer to run the ignition instead of the distrib.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Sorry for the delay, just moved down to Craig, Alaska... its freeecking great....

anyhow, you have got to stop all this logic, its becoming a downer... ;) but I do see what you are saying. I still think it would be nice for the computer to run the ignition instead of the distrib.

The bad part about that is you cant change the timing without remapping the computer. At least on the earlier systems you can still set the initial timing and the computer takes care of the rest. The later model stuff you cant do anything without reprograming and even then I dont know how much support there is for that. Probably not much.

You can actually gain some performance by being able to change the initial timing yourself.