• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Explorer serp, is the balancer diff?

iwlbcnu

Bronco Guru
I assume it is closer to the block. If so, does the timing ring come off the back and if so, how does it connect?

eb66to77

Bronc'Ownly
Loc.
NOVA
This seems to be the question of the day. Well, at least for the two of us it is.

76 bronco J

Bronco Guru
,,,,,it's all one piece ,,,,,no need to remove timing teeth just bolt it up

Attachments

• 55555555555.JPG
    55555555555.JPG
    151.8 KB · Views: 73

eb66to77

Bronc'Ownly
Loc.
NOVA
That picture shows the trigger mainly. We are wondering about the toothed part that is on the harmonic balancer. Does the toothed ring come off of the HB?

This:
fetch.dll

SWFLABRONCO

Loc.
Cape Coral, Fl
Yes, the balancer is set back closer to the engine, and the toothed ring is permanent and stays on. It was used on the Explorer motors for some kind of crank positioning sensor thingy, of which I'm not using on my setup. If you need a new complete explorer balancer, Napa has them for about $80.

eb66to77

Bronc'Ownly
Loc.
NOVA
That's what I am talking about! Thanks SWFLABRONCO. How does your engine run without that ring and sensor? The spark comes from the cam sensor right?

SWFLABRONCO

Loc.
Cape Coral, Fl
Actually I just sat mine on the frame and mated the drivetrain together. I'm still a month or so away from firing it up. Can't wait to run some fuel through it though.

eb66to77

Bronc'Ownly
Loc.
NOVA
So what does that sensor do on the hb? I would imagine it has something to do with the ignition.

76 bronco J

Bronco Guru
So what does that sensor do on the hb? I would imagine it has something to do with the ignition.

,,,,it's works in conjunction with the cam postion sensor that replaces the distributor ....pic below shows explorer cam postion sensor,,, the distributorless setup is desirable on the explorer ,but the OBD2 computer system is tied into too many things besides just the motor to make the swap easy......on a side note see link to someone using the crank position sensor setup,,,,,, http:www.alternativeauto.com/waterbox/wb_archives/edis.html

Attachments

• a8ad_1.jpg
    a8ad_1.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 55555555555.JPG
    55555555555.JPG
    152.4 KB · Views: 22

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
A little known fact: Top dead center on the crank pulley is the fifth tooth clockwise from the point where there is one tooth missing of the tooth ring. Just in case the faint TDC scribe marks on the balancer are hard to see. You can replace the crank sensor with a simple pointer and be done.

Attachments

• timing_pointer.jpg
    timing_pointer.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 46

Broncobowsher

Total hack
So the crank sensor is only there for timing?

The crank trigger is only there for the stock explorer computer to figure timing.

If you run a distributer, that ring is an extra part that does nothing.

But leave it there because someday there will be a neat distributerless conversion coming that will use that ring.

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
There are several guys running the explorer dizzy on the bronco. Glad to see this post as I am getting ready to do the explorer serpentine myself.

Ben

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
The exploder v8 does not use a dizzy hence 'distributerless ignition' the crank postition sensor tells the computer where the crankshaft is in relation to which piston is next in line for the 'dizzy' to signal to the coil pack to fire the appropriate cylinder. It is a pretty efficient setup, if only we could get the computer to work without the heated seats, airbags, climate control and all the other bs....

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Yes, I am waiting for the distributorless set-up, too.
Meanwhile, here is a pic of the complete serp set-up, just for fun.

Attachments

• Ex_serp.jpg
    Ex_serp.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 75

eb66to77

Bronc'Ownly
Loc.
NOVA
The exploder v8 does not use a dizzy hence 'distributerless ignition' the crank postition sensor tells the computer where the crankshaft is in relation to which piston is next in line for the 'dizzy' to signal to the coil pack to fire the appropriate cylinder. It is a pretty efficient setup, if only we could get the computer to work without the heated seats, airbags, climate control and all the other bs....

What kinds of problems come up when running that computer without all the peripherals hooked up?

76 bronco J

Bronco Guru
HeHeHe, I wonder why the computer won't work with without that stuff.

,,,,,as said by mr. fuel injection guru himself aka ryan,,,,,,,if you have to ask these many questions your not even ready to attempt such a project,,,,there are so many if & and's or but's that explaining the issues is not able to be simply defined in one sentence or even a paragraph,,,,,,learn by ton's & ton's of research from many sources then go do it & take notes of what happens good or bad then start the process again

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
The crank trigger is only there for the stock explorer computer to figure timing.

If you run a distributer, that ring is an extra part that does nothing.

But leave it there because someday there will be a neat distributerless conversion coming that will use that ring.

Lars on this board has the EDIS hooked up and running great on his truck...perhaps he can chime in here. I know of at least 3 guys that have gone distributorless so far. And I'll add that I know nothing of how to do it, but I know it can be done.

Todd Z.

Last edited: