• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Explorer serp, is the balancer diff?

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
Where's the distributor go?

Someone help me out here. I can't find my distributor anymore...

Attachments

• edis1.JPG
    edis1.JPG
    160.5 KB · Views: 42

eb66to77

Bronc'Ownly
Loc.
NOVA
,,,,,as said by mr. fuel injection guru himself aka ryan,,,,,,,if you have to ask these many questions your not even ready to attempt such a project,,,,there are so many if & and's or but's that explaining the issues is not able to be simply defined in one sentence or even a paragraph,,,,,,learn by ton's & ton's of research from many sources then go do it & take notes of what happens good or bad then start the process again

Oh here we go. I understand fuel injection and the principals of it. My question is pertaining to the sentence that states that the computer won't work if the heated seats or climate control aren't hooked up. If Todd Z only knows three people that did it, I think this is a valid question and can further the understanding and modification desire of most on this board. Simply put; If you don't know, then don't answer with someone else's words paraphrased in such a manner to attempt to belittle the subject or the unenlightened. Oh yeah, flame suit is zipped up tight.:cool:

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
The exploder v8 does not use a dizzy hence 'distributerless ignition' the crank postition sensor tells the computer where the crankshaft is in relation to which piston is next in line for the 'dizzy' to signal to the coil pack to fire the appropriate cylinder. It is a pretty efficient setup, if only we could get the computer to work without the heated seats, airbags, climate control and all the other bs....

One word... Tweecer.

76 bronco J

Bronco Guru
Oh here we go. I understand fuel injection and the principals of it. My question is pertaining to the sentence that states that the computer won't work if the heated seats or climate control aren't hooked up. If Todd Z only knows three people that did it, I think this is a valid question and can further the understanding and modification desire of most on this board. Simply put; If you don't know, then don't answer with someone else's words paraphrased in such a manner to attempt to belittle the subject or the unenlightened. Oh yeah, flame suit is zipped up tight.:cool:

,,,,, I answered your question with the same exact answer ryan & many others would give you on that question......

eb66to77

Bronc'Ownly
Loc.
NOVA
,,,,, I answered your question with the same exact answer ryan & many others would give you on that question......

I knew that would get you spun up. It can't be a really good thread without a little drama, right? Anyway, thanks so far.

Back to topic...
Lars, do you run a complete Explorer engine withh all the bells and whistles or is it a mix of different parts. DO you run both the cam sensor and the crank sensor?

76 bronco J

Bronco Guru
I knew that would get you spun up. It can't be a really good thread without a little drama, right? Anyway, thanks so far.

Back to topic...
Lars, do you run a complete Explorer engine withh all the bells and whistles or is it a mix of different parts. DO you run both the cam sensor and the crank sensor?
,,,,not spun up more amused from the start of this thread by the oh so basic obvious things that seem fly right past some people when the claim to know the basics ,then they ask a complicated question & expect a answer as if they would even understand when the simpleton stuff had to be spelled out

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
do you run a complete Explorer engine withh all the bells and whistles or is it a mix of different parts. DO you run both the cam sensor and the crank sensor?

It's a bastard mix. EEC-IV electronics based on a Mustang A9L ECU with an external EDIS module from a mid 90's Crown Vic that had a modular 4.6 engine. I made the harness from a mix of Mustang 5.0, Explorer 5.0 and Crown Vic harnesses. I turn on the EDIS functionality (and turn off the TFI stuff) using a Tweecer. Apparently the cam position sensor isn't absolutely needed, but the engine won't run without the crank position sensor- though I run both. The crank position sensor takes the place of the hall effect module found in the TFI distributor. the attached figure shows the basic wiring. You can see the cam position sensor, which merely tells the engine that no. 1 cylinder has come & gone, isn't even connected to the EDIS module- it is connected directly to the ECU. Technically the EDIS module can run the engine without the ECU, at fixed timing.

Of course no smog functions; TAB, TAD and EGR are all turned off using the Tweecer, and I pulled all of those wires out of the harness. Also running a late Explorer 70mm mass air meter with integral ACT sensor, again thanks to the Tweecer, which lets me specify the correct air meter transfer function.

Mostly it's bragging rights. My engine ran fine using stock EEC-IV Mustang style electronics, including the TFI dizzy, etc. The timing is arguably more stable with a crank position sensor since that eliminates the variability inherent in something driven through a gear train (distributor being driven by the cam, which in turn is driven by a chain off the crank).

eb66to77

Bronc'Ownly
Loc.
NOVA
,,,,not spun up more amused from the start of this thread by the oh so basic obvious things that seem fly right past some people when the claim to know the basics ,then they ask a complicated question & expect a answer as if they would even understand when the simpleton stuff had to be spelled out
J, get over yourself. If you have nothing to say other than how much smarter the people you know are then stay out of it. I guarantee your tone would be way different if we were face to face. Notice that I am referring to you in this reply and not making a general observation hoping there is some way of backing out of it starting right after you read this. Now that there are people here that have useful information, you can put the gimp ball back in and go downstairs. I would have really hoped our exchange could have gone differently, but since you lack the restraint, this is how it will be.

eb66to77

Bronc'Ownly
Loc.
NOVA
It's a bastard mix. EEC-IV electronics based on a Mustang A9L ECU with an external EDIS module from a mid 90's Crown Vic that had a modular 4.6 engine. I made the harness from a mix of Mustang 5.0, Explorer 5.0 and Crown Vic harnesses. I turn on the EDIS functionality (and turn off the TFI stuff) using a Tweecer. Apparently the cam position sensor isn't absolutely needed, but the engine won't run without the crank position sensor- though I run both. The crank position sensor takes the place of the hall effect module found in the TFI distributor. the attached figure shows the basic wiring. You can see the cam position sensor, which merely tells the engine that no. 1 cylinder has come & gone, isn't even connected to the EDIS module- it is connected directly to the ECU. Technically the EDIS module can run the engine without the ECU, at fixed timing.

Of course no smog functions; TAB, TAD and EGR are all turned off using the Tweecer, and I pulled all of those wires out of the harness. Also running a late Explorer 70mm mass air meter with integral ACT sensor, again thanks to the Tweecer, which lets me specify the correct air meter transfer function.

Mostly it's bragging rights. My engine ran fine using stock EEC-IV Mustang style electronics, including the TFI dizzy, etc. The timing is arguably more stable with a crank position sensor since that eliminates the variability inherent in something driven through a gear train (distributor being driven by the cam, which in turn is driven by a chain off the crank).

I have the Mustang MASS setup that has sat waiting for me to put it in for years now but I have had other more pressing issues to worry about since 9/11. I saw it as a challenge back then but now am thinking of this and hvae the opportunity now.

I read the sites that you gave and they are awesome. I did notice that both the EDIS and the DIS don't require the cam sensor since the computer will notice a problema nd find the firing order again. Thanks for the information and I am sure to have more questions now that I will be working on the truck more now. Thanks again