• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Explorer Serp. PS reservoir clearance?

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Anybody else have hood clearance issues with their Explorer PS pump reservoir? It looks like I'm going to have to re-locate mine - don't see any problems in doing so just something I have not seen posted on here before.

Are there any aftermarket explorer PS pumps? Now that I've got my fenders on it looks like I've dobbed the front end TOO much and not enough room for the booster and MC ?:? I don't know that I trust the stock pump to handle both steering and braking - a lot to go wrong with a pump failure.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I had to move mine down and back about an inch. That was with the stock hood and extreme motor mounts. With stock mounts I might have had enough clearance. I just cut a plate to bolt the reservoir to and bolted that to the stock three holes.

OP
OP
SC74

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Just talked to PSC about an option for a high pressure pump so that I can run both a ram on the steering and hydroboost.

I can use a GM sag pump with one of their conversion brackets so that it will work with the explorer front dress kit. If I order the pump from them, they can add a dual return for the hydroboost. Pricey, but for $400 I can make this work and run both the ram and hydroboost with the explorer serp. set-up.

Here are the part numbers that PSC referred me to:

pump kit & adapter bracket

Broncobowsher

Total hack
From those 2 links it appears that PSC doesn't realize that the Explorer pump isn't a standard Ford pump. There was a post not long ago that showed a stock Explorer pump with "DELPHI" cast into it. Last I knew the Explorer already used the Saginaw/Delphi pump. although I am sure it could be turned up.

Unless I am mistaken (and sometimes I am) the CII pump is the older Ford POS style pump.

You may want to research this a little more before dropping that coin on a pump that I don't think will work with the Explorer front dress.

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
I am using the explorer pump on mine but I havent really put a ton of miles on it. I run hydro assist/4x4x2 box/hydroboost with the explorer pump. I'd just invest in a spare to take with you in case of failure. I have plenty of pressure to run all three, the only question is...how long will it last. The explorer reservoir didnt fit for me either, 1"BL. I ended up using a reservoir from a astrovan for now, mounted it where the explorer was and just drillled, tapped and installed an additional return line in the can. So far so good. I want to get a larger reservoir but havent sprung for the $150 ones that people like psc sell. I might make my own, we'll see but for now all is good.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I think some of the newer superdutys have a huge P/S resivior that has duel returns. I remember looking at one ('04 with 6.0?) and thinking it would be adaptable to the Bronco. fender mount, not engine mount.

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
I think some of the newer superdutys have a huge P/S resivior that has duel returns. I remember looking at one ('04 with 6.0?) and thinking it would be adaptable to the Bronco. fender mount, not engine mount.

Thanks for the tip, I'll look into it. All the yards I ever go to never seem to have anything newer that 90 %) I guess I have to go to the super commercial yards to find something like that...I'll check ebay.

OP
OP
SC74

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
From those 2 links it appears that PSC doesn't realize that the Explorer pump isn't a standard Ford pump. There was a post not long ago that showed a stock Explorer pump with "DELPHI" cast into it. Last I knew the Explorer already used the Saginaw/Delphi pump. although I am sure it could be turned up.

Unless I am mistaken (and sometimes I am) the CII pump is the older Ford POS style pump.

You may want to research this a little more before dropping that coin on a pump that I don't think will work with the Explorer front dress.

That's what I was thinking also until the guy at PSC said "the explorer has the big aluminum front brackets, right?" Even after looking at the adapter bracket I don't see how in the world it would work.

Trust me, before I drop $400 I'm going to do A LOT of research!!

OP
OP
SC74

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru

Good Tip... I just found a 05 F350 with hydroboost that I'm going to try to get either tomorrow or Friday. I'll try to get the large reservoir too while I'm there.

I'm with Tito - I may just carry a spare pump with me and see just how long the stock set-up will work. It may be a PITA bleeding everything on the trails, but better than nothing!

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
If you get or at least see the superduty power steering reservoir, snap a pic, I have been trying to find one for sale or at least a pic the last half hour.

OP
OP
SC74

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If you get or at least see the superduty power steering reservoir, snap a pic, I have been trying to find one for sale or at least a pic the last half hour.

Will do.. if they have another superduty i'll grab a res. for you too.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
That's what I was thinking also until the guy at PSC said "the explorer has the big aluminum front brackets, right?" Even after looking at the adapter bracket I don't see how in the world it would work.

Trust me, before I drop $400 I'm going to do A LOT of research!!

Bowsher's right - those brackets are to adapt a regular remote reservoir canned ham Saginaw into the CII bracketry.

Todd Z.