• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Explorer Serpentine vs. 90 Mustang Serpentine????

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
Definitely converting over to the Serpentine Setup! Was wondering if one setup is better than the other? I bought a complete 5.0 90 motor and also have the brackets from a 96 explorer that I got for a song and dance! ;D

I know that alot has been written about the Explorer Setup but what about the Mustang serpentine setup?

Given choice of either one, which is the one to go with?

ransil

Bronco Guru
If you have the explorer or can get one use it..

If you only have the mustang then use it, there maybe radiator interference so that will need to be addressed, I like 1" minimum clearance and move my radiator forward by cutting the core support.

OP
OP
broncoitis

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
So the Mustang Serp pushes everything out further than the explorer setup I take it? Just wanna use the best setup because I am tired of doing things twice if you get my drift! Right now I think I have most of the Explorer stuff for the conversion and I guess that is what I will go with!

I was curious about the mustang setup because Im sure some on here are using it and I know that it is harder to come across but that isn't an issue for me right now so just wanted to see if there were any advantages of it vs. the explorer.

Thanks for the feedback Ransil, always appreciated and helpful! ;D

If you have the explorer or can get one use it..

If you only have the mustang then use it, there maybe radiator interference so that will need to be addressed, I like 1" minimum clearance and move my radiator forward by cutting the core support.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
The Mustang has a smog pump, if you need it for smog inspection then use that one, but there is about an inch clearance between the reverse rotation aftermarket fan and radiator. It comes with a 2G alt 65-85 amps, but you can squeeze a 3 G in there.

If I could use the explorer set up I would, water pump and accesories all sit farther back, 4G alternator, better P/S pump than the Mustang, Lots of clearance between the fan and radiator, enough that you can use the explorer fan and fan clutch.

OP
OP
broncoitis

broncoitis

Bronco Guru

Thanks for the added input! I am gonna go with the explorer setup. Just wanted to make sure that it was the best option compared to the mustang setup. Seems like the added fan clearance is reason enough because as we all know, there is not alot of room to work with in there! :cool: Now I just gotta round up the rest of the pieces! ;D

plumbdoctor

Loc.
Golden
Explore is better, I used the mustang and had to cut the core support. Wish I didn't have to, can't use hood latch anymore

RustyShackelfor

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Centerville, TN
The Mustang has a smog pump, if you need it for smog inspection then use that one, but there is about an inch clearance between the reverse rotation aftermarket fan and radiator. It comes with a 2G alt 65-85 amps, but you can squeeze a 3 G in there.

If I could use the explorer set up I would, water pump and accesories all sit farther back, 4G alternator, better P/S pump than the Mustang, Lots of clearance between the fan and radiator, enough that you can use the explorer fan and fan clutch.

The PS part is a moot point because you can easily upgrade to the saginaw.

ransil

Bronco Guru
mustang stuff is cheaper...other than mustang vehicles have the same components..so that means cheap junkyard parts..

price out water pumps , power steering pumps and alternators for replacements..for both...

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
The PS part is a moot point because you can easily upgrade to the saginaw.

True... but the pump and bracket is another expense

"mustang stuff is cheaper...other than mustang vehicles have the same components..so that means cheap junkyard parts..

price out water pumps , power steering pumps and alternators for replacements..for both..."

Also True, but the Mustang stuff is getting harder to find and the Explorer stuff seems to be plentiful right now because of cash for clunkers. When I did my 1st conversion I used the Mustang stuff because I had it, and there was an inch of clearance between the fan and Core. Not enough clearance for me, for a rig that can flex off road. I guess it comes down to preferences...

My 77 still has the V-belt set up, and a G3 alt with a small case. I need to run a smog pump for emissions on my EFI conversion and the annual smog testing. A serp set up would make it cleaner, but the factory 7 blade fan has no problems keeping things cool. My choice...

OP
OP
broncoitis

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
Thanks for all the added input everyone! I guess that I have some things to consider. ;D However, Options are not a bad thing to have. Sounds like the explorer is the better way to go in terms of the radiator clearance. Also the benefit of the clutch.

My biggest obstacle at this point I think is gonna be the Temp outside right now! :eek: It is cold and without a heated garage to work I think it might be too cold to work with the RTV and be comfortable with it curing properly! :(

Any thought on the RTV factor and the cold weather?

70EB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Gig Harbor
I installed Mustang serp on my 351W. My writeup is below. It is true that you have less space between the fan and radiator due to the Mustang setup being longer off the timing cover. I modified my lower radiator mount to move it closer to the core support and also use a radiator protector from BCB. I have a little over an ich on room. I also tweeked my fan spacer to maximize the room. I am using the Mustang power steering pump and so far have had no issues with turning my 35s.

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80131

All that being said, I am collecting the Explorer parts to swap out. This will allow me to use the explorer fan clutch and the power steering pump (probably source from Lee) for my hydroboost upgrade.

OP
OP
broncoitis

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
Thanks for the Link 70EB, I will check it out! Just wanna make sure that I cross the T's and dot the I's if you know what I mean! Two steps forward and one back from now on. Hopefully! ;D

[ QUOTE=70EB;1713924]I installed Mustang serp on my 351W. My writeup is below. It is true that you have less space between the fan and radiator due to the Mustang setup being longer off the timing cover. I modified my lower radiator mount to move it closer to the core support and also use a radiator protector from BCB. I have a little over an ich on room. I also tweeked my fan spacer to maximize the room. I am using the Mustang power steering pump and so far have had no issues with turning my 35s.

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80131

All that being said, I am collecting the Explorer parts to swap out. This will allow me to use the explorer fan clutch and the power steering pump (probably source from Lee) for my hydroboost upgrade.[/QUOTE]