• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Explorer swap - using carb

mnido

I am getting ready to do the same swap, fuel injection to carb. I am currently using a MSD billet distributor in my 302. If I understand all I need to do is replace the drive gear to the correct gear for the 5.0 motor, correct ? And thanks this blog has been very helpful for my swap !

OP
OP
TTownEP

TTownEP

What radiator are you using? and what year is your explorer engine?

I am using my original-style Bronco radiator. I just put it in last year. I'll cross the hoses over.

I have an early 97 donor so it's got non-P heads.

OP
OP
TTownEP

TTownEP

I am getting ready to do the same swap, fuel injection to carb. I am currently using a MSD billet distributor in my 302. If I understand all I need to do is replace the drive gear to the correct gear for the 5.0 motor, correct ? And thanks this blog has been very helpful for my swap !

This was news to me until I started this thread and someone answered me about the gear. I never would have had a second thought about just dropping the iron gear right in there. I have the Summit billet distributor and they sell the new gear in steel so no problem. It just arrived today. I know they sell the MSD one too.

OP
OP
TTownEP

TTownEP

Is there something more to seal this dipstick tube for the Explorer block? Does it need some sealant of some kind? Seems chintzy...

b9bbdd01b610c317adeb799cbd635f1b.jpg

OP
OP
TTownEP

TTownEP

Pulled the motor back out to reinstall the dust cover deal between the engine and trans. Luckily not a giant ordeal with a fork lift handy. Oil filled and primed up.

I got a lot more oil coming out of the top of the rocker arm on cyl 7 (3rd from front on driver side) than all the others. It pumped up first and continually pumped out more than the others. Problem?

c3cb77d366be59fb9632be5e67d52251.jpg
42f1abbcf110f833a4dbb543e217e393.jpg

Rusty_S85

I was going to do the 96 explorer long block myself. I said screw that when my source went up $1,000 on the cost to $3,500.

But I hear the explorer F4TE cam is quite stout though. Would love to make a comparison to the crane cam I have to the F4TE power wise.

On the dist, you can buy the steel gear by itself or you can buy the dist with the gear installed. Cardone offers one that fits a '85 Mustang that has the steel gear and is DSII compatible. It was a cheaper route for me than buying the crane steel gear for nearly $100.

OP
OP
TTownEP

TTownEP

Anyone know what this bolt size is for the water pump “pulley”? I would have assumed M8 like a few of the other items in this area, but it doesn’t like it. It doesn’t like a 5/16-18 or 5/16-20 either. Or it’s buggered and I need to run a tap through it...

904fd946657118879ea8ff5661da8ef3.jpg

Rusty_S85

Rock Auto has the long block for $2100 including core charge.

Problem is the builder though. My research on the brand is that the engine comes from this one builder based in Texas up around Dallas. If you look his company up he has 2 stars out of 5 star reviews. most reviews are of shops stating his engines wont even get out of the shop before they fail when they install them.

Big reason why I avoided them. I was looking at Powertrain Products as all the research I did indicated that they did their own engines and they weren't built by any shady business such as the one that does most of the cheap long blocks you can find at the auto part stores.