• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Extending radius arms, 6in, 8in, or 10in.

dezertbronco

Just finished my jig to extend my radius arms and trying to figure out how long to make them. I am going to use my bronco for rocks, desert, and general wheeling. For stability I've read 6in is better and for rocks 12in. What about a middle length like 8in or 10in for good stability and good flex?

radius2.jpg

stock1970

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Olathe, Kansas
not sure but You may be able to check out wild horses and see how long thiers are, also i think they put a bend in them to help clear larger tires..

Sweathog

Loc.
Lansing
Not sure about your answer as I won't complete the project for yet another month. :( I extended my fornt arms 8" plus a Ballistic joint. Then I 4-linked the rear with coil springs. If memory serves, this increased the overall distance from the axle to the mounting location to 43". Then I 4-linked the rear with coil springs and wanted to match the same distance. The overall wheelbase went to a nice 106". Long and short of it all. Keep the rear suspension in mind as you lengthen the front. Sorry about the ramble.
Also, maybe check previous posts. I remember reading about those with 12" extensions meeting contact with frame when the front wheel cycles up.
Great idea. Will you post pics when it's done? Would be cool to see.

Hal9000

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Flagstaff, AZ
The extended radius arms that came with my FW axles were 14" longer than stock. I installed them at that length (after adding a bend for tire clearance) and pushed my front axle forward a few inches at the same time. I'll eventually add some type of ballistic joint at the frame and cut the arms down to around 8" longer than stock.

My biggest concern with the extra length is that it could result in an increased chance of bending one under heavy loads.

broncorckcrwlr

Loc.
London, Ky
Not sure about your answer as I won't complete the project for yet another month. :( I extended my fornt arms 8" plus a Ballistic joint. Then I 4-linked the rear with coil springs. If memory serves, this increased the overall distance from the axle to the mounting location to 43". Then I 4-linked the rear with coil springs and wanted to match the same distance. The overall wheelbase went to a nice 106". Long and short of it all. Keep the rear suspension in mind as you lengthen the front. Sorry about the ramble.
Also, maybe check previous posts. I remember reading about those with 12" extensions meeting contact with frame when the front wheel cycles up.
Great idea. Will you post pics when it's done? Would be cool to see.

How about some pics of your extended arms Sweathog? I'm in the process of doing pretty much the same thing you've already done.

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
The cage arms ar 10.5 over stock if memory serves. The ride is great and the are really great in the rocks as well. However on road stability has been an issue for me due to the length I beleive? I beleive the Lars bars are 8" over stock. Do a search here for lars bars and models your after those. If I could talk someone into a trade for my cage arms I would gladly do it and I love the cage arms.

Ben

bludorbronc

i used 2 stock arms. to get the length set one on top of the other and slde them apart length ways and there will be a spot at which the top one falls into the bottom. that is my length.

duder

Loc.
Milwaukee
I too remember 10 inches over stock as a good choice for extended radius arms. Been thinking of fabbing some up as well.