• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Extreme Radiator PICS (Update 6/10/05))

Re-locate drain petcock on ER 4 Row Radiator?

• Leave in stock location?

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • Move to passenger side under outlet spigot?

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Move to passenger side on the bottom?

Votes: 4 30.8%

• Total voters

69patriot76

Loc.
Centralia, WA
I just finished a deal with a small business owner (like many of our vendors). He deals exclusively in radiators and lists them on Ebay (how I found him). I bought a 4 Row w/ built in tranny cooler (can be used on manuals or autos )(looks just like the stock 3 Row but 3/4" thicker, so, you'll have to get new radiator mounts from one of the main vendors like BC, WH, Duff's, JBG, etc..) (NOTE-I have since learned that this isn't true... the Extreme Radiators are only 1/16th of an inch thicker and can be mounted with STOCK brackets - updated 4/8/05) from him for $269.00 (reg. 289.00) with FedEx Ground shipping for $12.00 anywhere in the states. After talking with him a little bit and about this forum community he extended a great offer on his 4 Row EB Radiators.

Using his website - www.extremeradiators.com - there will be a place to enter a promo code. The code is

"classic"

If you enter that code he will knock $20.00 off the regular price so that everyone can get a new 4 Row for $269.00 + $12.00 shipping (he's in GA so shipping to WA is 4-5 days, not bad for $12.00).

I hope this helps out anyone looking for a radiator at a decent price. The guy, Mark, sounded very interested and motivated and seemed like a go-to kind of guy. He'll probably also sell you any other kind of radiator on the promo code, too.

I'm sure you all will want to hear about the quality of the radiator before buying from this guy, so, when mine comes in I'll post a bunch of pics and let you know how it is.

Dan

Last edited:

Bronco Wild

Loc.
Nubraska
Definitely post pictures when it arrives and let us know your opinion of the quality. The combo is very interesting. I am in the market for one since boat towing season is right around the bend.

Thanks for the heads up :)

Ps-The write up on web doesn't mention the tranny cooler?

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
Let us know when you get it. I'm also in the market for a new radiator. Mine is the original one and it has a few small leaks. My experience with radiators says "buy a new one, don't fix old ones" so I plan on making the purchase before the summer heat comes.

OP
OP

69patriot76

Loc.
Centralia, WA
Bronco Wild said:
Definitely post pictures when it arrives and let us know your opinion of the quality. The combo is very interesting. I am in the market for one since boat towing season is right around the bend.

Thanks for the heads up :)

Ps-The write up on web doesn't mention the tranny cooler?

Yeah, it doesn't say it directly, but, if you look at the picture it shows the two fittings for the tranny lines on the right tank. Also, my research has shown that to find a 4 row EB radiator WITHOUT the tranny cooler built in actually costs more. This one will work with any transmission (manual or auto). This is, until I know otherwise, the same radiator that some of the Bronco vendors are selling under a variety of different names.

Tip: If you are running an aftermarket power steering box and it now blocks your petcock drain, take your radiator to a radiator shop (or your own!) and move the petcock to the passenger side tank. Much easier to do this while it's out. I'll keep you posted...

Oh, as for customer service... top notch. If you don't want to use PayPal just send Mark an email and he'll send you his phone number and you can take care of the money stuff over the phone. 15 minutes after you get off the phone you'll get an invoice and a FedEx tracking number in your email. I like that. So far so good, I'll definitely follow up on this when the new radiator arrives.

Dan

OldieTwoShoes

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raleigh, NC
how long is this promo going to last? i think i might being doing an engine swap possibly this summer and i might be in the market for a radiator.

OP
OP

69patriot76

Loc.
Centralia, WA
I think it's endless...

He just extended the $20.00 discount (turns out it's only on the 4 Row EB radiator, not others) to anyone from this forum.

Brewbro21

Just to let you know that Wild Horses sells their stagered 4 core for $284.99. And they are proven to be off road tough. Shipping might be the only thing that gets you.

Redleg06

I have one of these radiators in my CJ, I used to run a flex fan and an electric to keep the temp down, but since I put in the extreme I no longer need the electric.

OP
OP

69patriot76

Loc.
Centralia, WA
After talking with the designer/tech guy at ExtremeRadiator.com, I've got a little more info to add about the actual radiators, for those who are interested.

First of all, the ER 4 Row core is 1 15/16" thick compared to a stock 3 Row which is 1 7/8" thick (some of the other 4 row rads I've looked at were 3/4" thicker than stock). This means that you can re-use your stock mounting brackets.

He explained to me that the extra thick 4 row (other's 2 1/4" or thicker) rads will trap heat in the last row because of the thickness when wheeling at low speeds.

Second, he told me that before they braze on the inlet/outlet tubes that they actually tack weld the tubes from the inside of the tank. This means that they are a lot stronger.

Finally, he tells me that a this company started making these for the more hardcore rockcrawlers and mudders down in the SE and that all the guys in the company are wheelers, too.

So, I'm going to try to contact the other EB houses and inquire about their 4 row radiators and get specs, dimensions and any construction info I can get to do a full on fair comparison for quality vs pricing.

Oh, another thing he mentioned in regard to the aluminum radiators that some of us are running. He said that with some rigs that run a lot of onboard electronics or fuel injection with a lot of wiring that there is a very high likelihood of developing a low voltage charge in the entire engine/cooling system that will cause electrolysis to charge the coolant and rapidly break down the aluminum cores. I'm interested to hear if this has happened with anyone.

Last edited:
OP
OP

69patriot76

Loc.
Centralia, WA
BRONKEN said:
I agree with the 4 core explanation, but why does he sell them if the 3 row is better?

BRONKEN...re-read the part about the "extra thick 4 row" rads... ER doesn't sell the "extra thick" ones, but, the thinner 4 row.

The 3 row isn't better. 4 rows in the space of 3 is better than 4 wider rows. A stock 3 row and a wider 4 row probably cool about the same. It's the thickness of the core that matters and the amount of tubes and fins. Plus, for us, 4 rows in the same space as 3 is great considering our limited space and the ability to re-use (not re-buy) stock brackets. For those of us with the F-100 PS boxes, this is awesome!

I'm finally getting to put some of my Naval ship systems/nuclear propulsion classes to use. I never thought I would! Thermodynamics is actually pretty cool! (Get it... cool? LOL) %)

OP
OP

69patriot76

Loc.
Centralia, WA
NP, BRONKEN

For anyone interested I have gathered all the non-aluminum radiator information for BC, JBG, JD and WH and have lumped them all together for better comparison. PM me with your email address and I'll forward it to you. I'm waiting for more information from ER to clarify why there's is supposedly a better deal.

Dan

So far, the only comparable radiator is WH's "staggered 4 core" at 284.00 (like BrewBro21 stated above... thanks!), but they don't have any tech specs listed. It is a 4 core, but stock depth, so it also doesn't need new brackets. It looks and sounds much like the Extreme Radiator version.

OP
OP

69patriot76

Loc.
Centralia, WA
Here is the Extreme Radiator tech/designer guy's input I got in email this morning... (Pretty much what I stated above, just wanted to share HIS words. Direct from the horses mouth...umm, keyboard :) )

"Dan,

It appears that many of these radiators are re-cored units because they are charging a core charge. They are reusing the factory tanks and brackets and installing new cores. These are not new radiators. Ask them them that question.

Our radiator has a tube count of 49 tubes from top to bottom of the core x 4 rows.. 49x4=196 tubes total count. We use 14 fins per inch. Our radiator is a true High efficiency design.

They are 100% new, not re-cored factory radiators so there has been no prior stress on the tanks from years of heat cycles.

The necks and hose connections are tack welded on the inside before they are soldered in place. This prevents the possibility of hose connections pulling out in high stress conditions which is a possibility in lesser built radiators. I know of no other manufacturer that does this.

Copper/brass radiators are less affected by chemical corrosion and electrolysis than an aluminum core design. Copper/brass radiators are repairable. There is no permanent repair for an aluminum radiator. Save your pennies because you will be replacing it. If your aluminum radiator becomes stopped up, simply throw it away and buy a new one. If your copper/brass radiator becomes stopped up, take it to your local radiator shop, have them sweat the tanks off and rod it out.

We kept the core thickness at 1 15/16". No modifications are necessary for installation, and there is still enough airflow through the core at trail speeds. 2 1/2" and 3" cores often times do not have adequate air flow at low speeds and the air passing through them becomes just as hot as the coolant by the time it reaches the inner most rows of tubes so it merely super heats them instead of cooling them. The extra thickness is wasted and actually inhibits proper cooling.

If you have any further questions feel free to call. I hope this will help you all make an informed decision.

Doug,
Extreme tech."

OP
OP

69patriot76

Loc.
Centralia, WA
I asked him this morning about the ability to have the petcock moved to the passenger side under the outlet spigot or even placed on the bottom. He said that would be no problem. Just to let him know.

Any suggestions about this, guys? Good idea or no? It doesn't look like having it on the bottom would place it in danger of getting knocked off...

Please post your ideas...

crawln68

Bronco Guru
I am looking for a new radiator. Do you know if this ER will work for a 5.0 EFI engine? Thanks.