• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

factory 16" steel wheels

scsm76

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Shaver Lake, CA
They never ever put 16" on the EB they put 16.5" wheels on them

They were 16" wheels, 16" wheels were also used on most early military Jeeps (willy'z) and were not a split rim. I have several of them laying around the piles of parts collected for 4 willy'z jeeps my family has collected over the years.

OP
OP
surfer-b

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
scsm76, now that you mentioned it i had a 53 cj3a or 2a i can't remember, the round fender, that had 16's but as you stated it was GI.

Redneck

Loc.
Jefferson City, MO
Okay so I will eat crow on this cause I did find on www.bronco.com where 6.50 x 16 tires were an opition. I can tell you that by 1981 you were not going to find a straight 16" tire from anywhere but a speciality tire shop and that 16.5's were getting harder to find. So I learned something today! But hey guys really do be careful and make sure you know what you got before you hurt yourself , someone else, or maybe even worse!!!

scsm76

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Shaver Lake, CA
I just looked at some old sales brochures (bronco.com) the 6.50 X16 TT (tube type) was available as a option until 71. I have not seen the Bronco wheels but I don't think they were the split design.

scsm76, now that you mentioned it i had a 53 cj3a or 2a i can't remember, the round fender, that had 16's but as you stated it was GI.
Willy'z offerd them as an option on the cj2a and 3a. The wheels have become quite pricey, my girlfriend's dad is doing a MB restore and has watched them sell for up to $140 on ebay.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
REDNECK your right 16 inch split are ' BAD-MO- FO'S" when I was 16 years old
one of life's little lesons came up I tooK a part out to a filling station and the guys around the station was standing looking at a kid with about 1/2 of his head
missing ... ''FROM A SPLIT RIM'' 16 INCH WHEEL ...as I remember the split rims 16 inch are the bad one ...
I have 16 inch on my BRONCO it 's a 1972 they are spoke wheels...they came off a 1976 bronco, I dont know if they are stock or not ..But I do like the 16's wasn't sure before I got the tires ...I'm sorry but I've not seen stock 16.5 wheels the ones I've seen have been aftermarket wheels ....and they have all been 16 if stock ....

Broncoblood

Contributor
Surfer, doesn't say anything about tubless.
I have a set of 16's I will have to take the tires off, see if they are split as well as tubeless and we can compare pix to see if all the 16 rims were the same etc.
Does anyone have a pic of there factory 16's as well?

scsm76

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Shaver Lake, CA
You should be able to tell if they are split just by looking for the removable ring, to see if they have a tube just look at your valve stem.

iwlbcnu

Bronco Guru
surfer-b said:
iwlbcnu, what is the width and backspace on the 16's are they the same as the 15's
I'll have to dig them out, but they look close. Mine are not split, but will double check the 16.5 or not. I also have some 16" military tires floating around and a old jeep rim.

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
even aftermarket steel 16 inch wheels are selling for almost 100.00 each i also have a friend who is blind and handicapped (happened 20 years ago) because of 16.5 tire back then they did not use the cages to break them down

OP
OP
surfer-b

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Broncoblood, don't go to the trouble of breaking them down unless you just want to, take some pics and post, maybe we can tell from that. yea your right Fordguy, i'v heard bad stories about the 2 piece wheels i know most tire dealers want even look at them. if no luck i can always get stockton wheel to make a set if they still make custom wheels may not be worth the price i know they use to, anyone else know or used a company that makes the factory looking steels

6677ebman

Bronco Guru
Wow! These are interesting posts....I have a set of 16" rims that originally came on my 1968, thay are just plain one piece wheels, thankfully. I have heard some bad stories on 2 piece rims, and I work with a guy that has a TERRIBLE looking scar (looks like someone took a sickle to his face, diagonally) from a 2 piece rim incident in the '70's.

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I've bought a couple three sets from Stockton Wheel and have been very happy with them. They were all 15" but I ordered custom offsets. They are willing to do all sorts of stuff. They even would make 15" wheels to hold a 14" hubcap. Pretty cool. My wheels were 70/ea. I have pics of some 16" wheels to send soon off my Merc truck 2 are identical to BroncoBlood's and 2 might be 16.5? I'll take a close look and some pics tonight.

Quick & Dirty

I have a set of 16" rims taken off a Bronco. I didn't realize they were an option. I just assumed they were swapped off a jeep or an older truck. Is there any way to identify the origin? I couldn't find any stamped numbers or identifying marks. The old 16" rims from the 40's have the Ford logo stamped in them. These have sets of 3 rivets in 4 spots holding the center to the rim.
rim.JPG

rivets.JPG

cj54

Quick & Dirty said:
I have a set of 16" rims taken off a Bronco. I didn't realize they were an option. I just assumed they were swapped off a jeep or an older truck. Is there any way to identify the origin? I couldn't find any stamped numbers or identifying marks. The old 16" rims from the 40's have the Ford logo stamped in them. These have sets of 3 rivets in 4 spots holding the center to the rim.
rim.JPG

rivets.JPG

That looks like a jeep wheel to me due to the large center. The jeep wheels I have seen usually have kelsey hayes stamped on them somewhere. They made wheels for all sorts of vehicles so who knows they might have been used on certain fords!

Broncoblood

Contributor
The Jeeps also tend to have that flat center where the lugs bolt down.
The FORD's have the 5 spoke embossed center plate at each lug. right?

Baja71

Bronco Guru
Quick & Dirty said:

Wow, I'd certainly not trust the integrity of those wheels after all these years.

cj54

Baja71 said:
Wow, I'd certainly not trust the integrity of those wheels after all these years.

Yes, and more often than not the inside of a tube type wheel is rusted real bad from the liner and tube being in constant contact with the rim!