• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Failed Az emissions, Help

OP
OP
bohntr28

bohntr28

Loc.
Mesa
Guys, thank you for all the help! It did not pass after I made the changes you guys mentioned so I decided to bite the bullet and pay someone to fix it. I took it to three shops and the first two responded " we haven't worked on carburetors at all in the past 5 years". The 3rd shop would adjust it but I had to pay $106.00 for a guy to hook it up to his machine for 10 minutes. He retarded the timing so much that I was pushing 230* on my way to and from the Emissions station. Thank god for good head gaskets. It coughs and backfires so much now but I guess that now I am through I can put it back to where it runs. Here's the kicker. I went to the MVD to get it registered and my plates and in turns out that I have to go through all this BS again in September because that was when it was purchased in 1971. Bummer. Oh well, I think I will have to figure a way to register it in a non testing county. Anyways, thank you all for your help and for you guys that will be attending the Stampede here in AZ stop and say high, I'll be in a Tall light blue bronco. Talk at you guys later. Dave

cactushorse

Ironically i am in the same boat with the emissions testing, but i am being told by my engine mach. shop to put more initail timing in it. 15 degrees. I thought the old turn up the idle and retard till it barely runs was the key to passing. Who's right?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Ironically i am in the same boat with the emissions testing, but i am being told by my engine mach. shop to put more initail timing in it. 15 degrees. I thought the old turn up the idle and retard till it barely runs was the key to passing. Who's right?

Usually the retarded timing is whats needed if its advanced the spark arrives to late at idle and causes the rich condition. Usually the advanced timing makes it run better and have more power but does little for emmisions kinda like a stock engine the timing is retarded and if you bump it up it runs better and gains power.
But you engine combo may be different and your machine shop should know what they are talking about so it could be worth trying.

cactushorse

I think you're right, i was having some issues with my dist. then also. I'll give it a try at 15 and see where i stand. The weather is getting to nice to not drive it.(no offense to you guys shoveling snow)

Dan's73

Bronco Guru
FWIW, the shop I took mine to was in the Scottsdale Airpark, Airpark Auto. I was referred to them by a Mustang guy I know and they were great. Pricing was right around $100, but they did whatever it took to get it through. They also do A LOT of work on street rods, customs, and other "old school" non-electronic vehicles. At the time I took mine in there was a '68 Mustang, a '75 EB, a mid '70's Vette, all getting various tune-ups, mods, etc. It was cool to see a new shop working on everything & not just the new stuff. I initially wanted to take the EB to a local Ford dealership but the 2 near my home & shop wouldn't touch it. And that was bone stock!

Flash69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Southwest Va
If that is a pretty much stock 302 it will be hard to pass with that big carb. I had a 670 on mine and it drowned my engine. I dropped down to a 470 and it is much better.