• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Emissions Help-I failed

OP
OP
77BroncoSport

77BroncoSport

Loc.
Sandy, UT
Yea, sounds like the case-The past 2 years have been no issues, just this year.

Im going to probably just bring it into a place and tune it to emissions. Without havinig any way of testing emissions each time (without paying), Im just crap shooting.

Thanks for the offer.

mountain14er

Loc.
Denver
Paying to get it tuned properly will pay for it self in the long run since you'll be getting better mileage.

OP
OP
77BroncoSport

77BroncoSport

Loc.
Sandy, UT
mountain14er said:
Paying to get it tuned properly will pay for it self in the long run since you'll be getting better mileage.

Thats what I will probably end up doing. That for me is the easiest way.

74bronc

Bronco Guru
77BroncoSport said:
Thats what I will probably end up doing. That for me is the easiest way.

if you want someone knowledgable and trustworthy to work on it and you don't mind going for a little drive, take it down to Big-O Tires in Orem (university mall parking lot location) and talk to Art Smith (801-802-0541). He is an EB guy and has a sweet bronco. he is the one that is responsible for my addiction, by the way. He can tune it and make it pass.

Do they have Commiefornia "Test Only" emissions crap in SLC now? It looks like they do the dyno test there as well now?

OP
OP
77BroncoSport

77BroncoSport

Loc.
Sandy, UT
74bronc said:
if you want someone knowledgable and trustworthy to work on it and you don't mind going for a little drive, take it down to Big-O Tires in Orem (university mall parking lot location) and talk to Art Smith (801-802-0541). He is an EB guy and has a sweet bronco. he is the one that is responsible for my addiction, by the way. He can tune it and make it pass.

Do they have Commiefornia "Test Only" emissions crap in SLC now? It looks like they do the dyno test there as well now?

Thanks for the tip!! Orem is just down the road from me and may try that.

Yep, they do the dyno test here as well.

welndmn

Bronco Guru
77BroncoSport said:
CO% is what failed.
Max 3.7 at 15mph-mine came in at 5.45
Max 3.6 at 25mph-mine came in at 6.31

My%CO2, HC (PPM) and NO (PPM) -all way below the Max allowed.

Im due for an oil change, going to do that today, put some premium gas in and drive it for about 30 minutes before having it tested again. Going to switch off my electric fuel pump as well.

My thoughts are that I have had no problems passing for the past 2 years and if warming up the car a little longer and an oil change dont make a difference, I'll have it tuned to pass.

It had been sitting for a week, drove it 5 minutes to the emissions place and it sat for another 30 before they got to it. Warming up a little longer may be of help.

What are your other readings?
We would need all of the readings to see how your engine is running.

OP
OP
77BroncoSport

77BroncoSport

Loc.
Sandy, UT
I turned down the screws on the Edlebrock Carb so it would and passed with flying colors. It died 3 or 4 times on the guys but no worries. It was obviously running to rich.

The car has about everthing new on it to engine, plugs, wires, carbs, and has always run perfectly. My thoughts were tune up but the more I went through work done and notes, its alwasy run perfectly.

End of story, no worries until next year!!

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
congrats, I remember all the smog stuff in CA, till they started the rolling exemption...too bad they stopped the roll for all those 76-77 guys.

OP
OP
77BroncoSport

77BroncoSport

Loc.
Sandy, UT
Utah cut off date is 1967. The only thing thats sucks is the emissions computer it orginally failed on wasnt working today so they had to do it on the other one. The downside is that it doesnt sink with the DMV properly when retested on seperate machines so I have to physically go to the DMV. Not a big deal but more of an inconvience.

OP
OP
77BroncoSport

77BroncoSport

Loc.
Sandy, UT
I passed in 2007 with no issues

Failed the 1st run at emissions last month---turned the carb screws the wrong way!!! Cranked down the carb (the correct way) so it basically wouldnt run and it passed with flying colors.