• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fan control sensor placement

yellowbronco

Loc.
Pagosa Springs
Ok, so I got tired of my ghetto rigged fan control for my 2spd Taurus fan so I ordered the 2spd fan control from Dc controls. It looks like it will be great, once I get it working!
The wiring was very easy, but I am having trouble with the sensor actuating the fan. The installation sheet tells me to mount it to the radiator (between the fins I guess?) in a certain spot. For one there really isn't anything on the sensor to hold it in between the fins, and the second issue is it won't turn the fan on no matter where I put it.
It is factory set to actuate at 180, I have let it get up to 210 and...zip.
So what am I doing wrong? ;D

getfuzzy

I tried to find DC but no go. I did find a wright up that said it was a Dc, but used a 3/8 npt in the intake water jacket. Do you have a web adderess for DC. I'm running a Mark 8 fan with a temp switch and a toggle switch override.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Ok, so I got tired of my ghetto rigged fan control for my 2spd Taurus fan so I ordered the 2spd fan control from Dc controls. It looks like it will be great, once I get it working!
The wiring was very easy, but I am having trouble with the sensor actuating the fan. The installation sheet tells me to mount it to the radiator (between the fins I guess?) in a certain spot. For one there really isn't anything on the sensor to hold it in between the fins, and the second issue is it won't turn the fan on no matter where I put it.
It is factory set to actuate at 180, I have let it get up to 210 and...zip.
So what am I doing wrong? ;D

Heat the sensor. Put it in a cup of boiling water and see if that turns the fan on.

getfuzzy

OK thats the first one that I have seen with a temp sensor like that. Sorry can't help hope the hot water helps.

OP
OP
yellowbronco

yellowbronco

Loc.
Pagosa Springs
The hot water worked, low came on a few seconds after I put it in and then high a few seconds after that, just like it should. I like the idea of actually having it exposed to the coolant, but how to do that...

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Probably need to mount the sensor where it see's more heat. Maybe zipped to the upper hose near the thermostat. It'll take some experimenting.

hartbronco

Loc.
Powell River B.C Can
I disconected my upper rad hose and put the therm end into it 2-3" then put it back on the rad ! so the end is in the water comeing from the motor , worked like a hot dam :)

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
I didn't see a pic of the sensor, but I'd put it either behind the radiator core on the inlet side halfway down, or somewhere near the coolant crossover at the front of the intake manifold, near the t'stat out of the fan blast.

joshd1971bronco

Loc.
Oklahoma City, OK
I have a similar setup on a Mustang 5.0L - black magic flex-a-lite fan. It was suggested to put the fan thermostat switch in the radiator (wedged into the fins) right near where the coolant hose coming from the top of the motor / thermostat housing dumps into the radiator. This the point in the radiator that sees the hottest water directly from the motor.

IFLYHOOKS

Loc.
Clarksville
The hot water worked, low came on a few seconds after I put it in and then high a few seconds after that, just like it should. I like the idea of actually having it exposed to the coolant, but how to do that...

Did you happen to measure the water temp when you placed the sensor in? I have the same controller from DC. You may have the same issue as I do in that, your temp gauge is connected to the sensor on the lower intake and your fan controller is in the radiator. My fan wasn't kicking on until my temp gauge read 210 deg (supposed to be 180), so I measured the temp at the radiator inlet, and it was 30 deg cooler than what the temp gauge read. Fortunately, running EFI, the computer is getting its temp readings from the sensor mounted in the heater inlet hard line.