• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fan Uses Radiator As Snack!

Itsa67

Yep, I killed a brand new four core in a Jeep CJ7 once due to a flex fan and high water crossing. I was able to get it repaired but it became a 3 core from there on out. I had the super heavy duty motor mounts to hold a 401 in place so I know the engine didn't move...those fans will actually flex in the wrong direction given the right incentive. Definitely go rigid or electric and your radiator will thank you.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Flex fan + mud = radiator death every time. Even sending too much water through the fan is enough to make them fold up like a cheap suit and kiss the radiator. Learned that leson the hard way, with two cores in two seasons on the racer before we 'got wise'. Never had the problem recurr once we went with the steel fixed-pitch fans again.

mr incredible

Bronco Guru
alot of us who have had radiator problems , have moved them foreward through the front radiator support ,, mine is about three inches foreward , with the electric fan ,, no problems ,,,

OP
OP
CDOG

CDOG

Loc.
Tucson
The plan fro now is to take the system apart and cut off the bottom brackets and do some fabrication. I think I can get an inch from that and another 1/4" by cuting down the spacer or going to a rigid fan. I will order one and see what kind of clearance I can get. That should put me at roughly two inces of clearance from fan to radiator. Then, the search for a shroud begins. I like the electric fans but some of them are 4 1/4" deep and that would require at least 5 1/4" of room between the radiator and engine and I don't think that is realistic with my setup. Thanks for all of the suggestions, I am studying every one of them.

sprinksbeme

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kingman, AZ
I agree that flex fans suck but I have also found that the body can shift back especially with body lifts. Going uphill and/or large acceleration moves the fan closer to the radiator. Some bracing can keep this from occurring. Transfer case mounts and motor mounts can also be the problem. A transfer case that moves upward even a 1/4'' can translate into a movement on a 1/2" or more at the top of the fan towards the radiator..

BronCowie

Contributor
Old Timer
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
You brought back old memories. ~30 years ago I installed an engine in my old F100 panel truck. It looked clear but when I started the engine one fan blade caught the radiator and with each revolution it bent the blade further into the coils until I had a nice round hole in my radiator :cry: all in about ten seconds before I realized there was a problem and shut it down. Ooops! ;D

Some times good lessons are hard lessons! %)

OP
OP
CDOG

CDOG

Loc.
Tucson
Very true, at least it wasn't a $500 Ron Davis. I think I would have puked watching one of those bleed out. I didn't know about the diferent fan options until now and i am getting a lot of welding practice so that makes up about $6 of the total bill. Ha! Ha!