• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fiberglass hood crack repair.

behemoth

Bronco Guru
I purchased a used hood that has some cracks around the hood pin holes and near the rear of the scoop area.
6d6cde55057161ec42c467fa3632be2c.jpg
f0bd5314f26ba117318a80d397890afe.jpg

71Broncitis

Could just be in the gel coat. Sand off gel coat and see if the underlying glass is cracked.

If so, use a ball or round fir tree carbide die grinder bit to create a groove following the cracks. Fill will resin and chopped glass fibers (or Tiger Hair filler) them sand smooth.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

NYLES

Bronco Guru
Looks bout like mine, Ill guess n say its just in the gel coat.

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
After you sand it wipe the area with reduce (if you have it) or lacquer thinner (not as good) and watch the evaporation. If it is cracked into the glass it will evaporate from the crack more slowly highlighting them for repair for a few seconds. If it all evaporates the same the gel coat may have just cracked.

If it is crack you want to grind it out like a V bevel and fill with fiberglass matt strips (not cloth which has a distinct pattern) soaked in resin. Sand this down when dry and you should be good. Unless it is broke more than 50% then you need to put a repair or support piece of fiberglass on the backside too.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
I would use Duraglass for the repair. But the reason this has such large cracks is the underlying fiberglass is under stress in a very small area. the stress isnt being dispersed into the body of the hood. You can fix the top and make it look pretty but is isnt going to last unless you reinforce the areas on the bottom I would lay up a couple of layers of glass fabric on the under side of the repair area and make sure it goes out about 6 inches or so all around where you can. I would run side supports under the hood like Ford did with the steel hood at the fender to subdue allot of the flexing on the hood.

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
And those support ribs can be as simple as making a shallow 'C' channel from some cardboard, "gluing" it to the underside of the hood with resin, and then covering it/them with layers of fiberglass cloth and resin.

jason_marshall1

I would use Duraglass for the repair. But the reason this has such large cracks is the underlying fiberglass is under stress in a very small area. the stress isnt being dispersed into the body of the hood. You can fix the top and make it look pretty but is isnt going to last unless you reinforce the areas on the bottom I would lay up a couple of layers of glass fabric on the under side of the repair area and make sure it goes out about 6 inches or so all around where you can. I would run side supports under the hood like Ford did with the steel hood at the fender to subdue allot of the flexing on the hood.

Absolutely agree! The cracks formed for a reason and if you don't make the area stronger, it will crack again. Just be careful not to simply move the weak spot to another area or the cracks will relocate on you. Add supports as suggested and if you use the hood latch pins, make that area much stronger as it takes a beating (assuming you don't have the stock latch as well).

broncobilly72

One thing to remember...Fiberglass does not have a pot life...it gets harder as it gets older and tends to crack.

OP
OP
behemoth

behemoth

Bronco Guru
Cracks are at least near the hood pin holes through the glass. The cracks at the rear of the hood don't appear through the glass. I'll have to add glass to the underside regardless. Thanks for the suggestions.