• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fighting the steering wheel

OP
OP
daddycreswell

daddycreswell

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lebanon, TN
Not sure why I bought an adjustable TB I've got it all the way in and fits just like the other one, there is no way I'd be able to get to the closet hole to the axle.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
816b7542ca60fcf07891cc25b693fc98.jpg

Oldtimer

Contributor
Jr. Member with Sr. moments
Loc.
Sunnyvale, CA
Is that with the axle centered on the frame?
I had to shorten my adjustable track bar, cut with saw & thread deeper, if needed.

OP
OP
daddycreswell

daddycreswell

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lebanon, TN
by adjusting it OUT it'll move the axle toward the passenger side. are you saying its adjusted IN or OUT?
I centered the body over the axle I believe anyway,with the threads all the way in that's the only hole it would get close to. Now I can't get the freaking bolt in. This is why I don't work on stuff, don't have the patience to do stuff.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Don’t panic! As Ford Prefect used to say…
Now that it’s up in the pocket, with the tires on the ground, turn the steering wheel.
Turning the steering wheel will literally shift the body over the axle so you can get the bolt in.

It doesn’t matter which hole you use, because your adjustable track bar is apparently long enough to center the axle using the outer hole.
Where the stock track bar was not. You would’ve had to move it over to the other hole get a better center on the axle.
The adjustable one is probably longer at its minimum setting, so you don’t need to do that. So just use the hole that it will get into, and move things to get the bolt in.

Obviously, this process is easier with two people, but it can be done by yourself if you can reach up behind the frame, or under the wheel well, and grab your steering shaft as it goes into the steering box and turn it by hand.
With power steering, however, you may need a second person to do this.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
In other words, you’re too close to need to modify the track bar. It’s almost in the hole!