• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

!FINISHED!!!!!!!!!! 8274 Bumper w/3" BL and Stock chrome bumper overlay * PIC HEAVY*

OP
OP
mofoco1

mofoco1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Clovis, CA
OK got it welded up bu t need to get more flap wheels, I am hoping for fini by the weekend!!!!!

Attachments

• .temp-1gghjk.jpg
    .temp-1gghjk.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 12
  • .temp-2xcvb.jpg
    .temp-2xcvb.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 17
  • .temp-1vbhnj.jpg
    .temp-1vbhnj.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
OP
OP
mofoco1

mofoco1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Clovis, CA
Thx JFG.It's been a learning experience. Pretty trying at times. With the metal yards been 22 miles from home and closing usually before I get off work it was tough going there. That was even with me having a nice cache of metal in my in laws pole barn. Now lets see how clean I can get the metal work done on the stock bumper so it is pretty much done for the chromers. I cant wait to see how they are going to try and bend me over on dipping this thing!

Last edited:
OP
OP
mofoco1

mofoco1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Clovis, CA
Haven't got to finish as I have to get the Bronco running and indoors. Thanks to a snoopy quasi-Nazi Police volunteer that tagged my truck even though it was on my property and covered. I have had it non oped, but always insured(you never know). So I have to have it inside or in the back out of sight by Thursday or face towing and a fine. I see POS that they don't tag and he decides to screw with me(must be a Jeep guy you know the pink ones with the striped surrey bikini top;D Will get on this as soon as this dilemma is over.

OP
OP
mofoco1

mofoco1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Clovis, CA
Got the bumper painted working on the overlay stock bumper flap wheeling it smooth.

Attachments

• .tempyhj.jpg
    .tempyhj.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG710.jpg
    IMG710.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

reynard101

Bronco Guru
Looks good. And it looks like a lot of grinding. How does it look from a front on view, specifically how wide is it versus the stock bumper (now that it has the bends in it)?

Tedster100

Chairman of the Bored
Very nice work. I like the lower center on the winch and the stock bumper look. Can't wait to see what it looks like all chromed up and mounted!

OP
OP
mofoco1

mofoco1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Clovis, CA
Believe me no one wants to see the finished product more than I. The chroming will be a bit down the road as with Christmas coming up I have to splurge elsewhere(Like there is any $ left over these days) I am going to flap it with 120 all the way around and clear it for now. The skid plate is getting the same treatment to set it off(son came up with that). I just ordered the SS bolts for it that no one on the West coast had. So they will be here next week probably, They are for the winch so it all looks the same.

OP
OP
mofoco1

mofoco1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Clovis, CA
I need to remove it all now and reweld a couple of pinholes and of course as with everything I developed a small separation at a weld able.25" long that I have to grind a V in and reweld and smooth, when I welded it up, it shrunk just enough so that I had to use the clamps as you can see in some of the pics to realign it and drill the needed holes. I have to also grind the relief for the fairlead on one side of the stock bumper, just a hair so there is no interference. I need 2 more holes for the fairlead and and the final smoothing and clearing and it is getting mounted. Whoooooooo:eek:

Pokey71

Bronco Guru
Everyone here knows Im hard to impress but I will say that you executed that bumper awesome. I'll Give it a 9.9/10. (I'll give you that .1 if you dimple those speed holes at the bottom)

When I was first looking to do my front bumper, I thought of doing this (close to) exact idea.

OP
OP
mofoco1

mofoco1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Clovis, CA
Thanks Pokey. I wanted to dimple it, but no one here has a big enough set of dies, and they are way $$$ to justify buying them, if you have a set and will loan them I will appease you;D. I actually want to do a reverse dimple on the top plate I think I am going to install. That way it provides some grip, capiche? And goes with the skidplate.

OP
OP
mofoco1

mofoco1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Clovis, CA
Reynard, it is 62"wide. don't have the other stock one to measure so as to compare. It kind of fixes what I always thought was an awkward width on the stock bumper. Been working late every night and by the time I get home, I can not make noise, sucks but my neighbors are well.......you know. I want it mounted by weekends end, we will see if the weather allows.

OP
OP
mofoco1

mofoco1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Clovis, CA
Pokey you are the Hickmeister! I am diggin' that dimple maker. I will have to see if i can find some heavy wall tubing scraps cause around here they are awfully proud of metal all the sudden. OK I am impressed, I checked your build and will admit I am not in your league..I bow and will dimple!!!;D So are you using a hydraulic press or a vise or a BFH? I may modify your design as the skid plate is already welded on so I am going to think about drilling a hole thru the hitch ball so as to be able to use a big ass bolt and nut and an impact to do it where it lies. Looking at the plate it may or may not work as it is close to the attachment point and may not allow the female portion of the die to sit in there properly. May have to grind it off...hahaha, " I love it when a plan comes together"!

Pokey71

Bronco Guru
A press would be ideal but I have seen some okie methods used.
One that I have seen is to use a bottle jack and the weight of the rig. Put the metal being dimpled in between the axle and the bottle jack. (same concept as a press.

The nut and bolt Idea will work too, its just going to take more effort unless you've got a really expensive air gun.

OP
OP
mofoco1

mofoco1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Clovis, CA
Some of the dimplers have the bolt and nut. I may just splurge, found a few new different sets that are sub $300. I just got the SS bolts for the bumper. Very reasonable even with shipping. I got all the hole drilled and tapped that I had forgot to make, and the 2 relief holes for the stock bolts for the Chrome bumperettes.

OP
OP
mofoco1

mofoco1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Clovis, CA
Got the bumper mounted looks good and mounted the fairlead now that the SS bolts came in. Also made a plate mount for it. Have to finish the overlay this weekend, been swamped by work.

Attachments

• .temp-1dsfgghhjj.jpg
    .temp-1dsfgghhjj.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 60
  • .temp-2fdfg.jpg
    .temp-2fdfg.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 57
  • .temp-5dfg.jpg
    .temp-5dfg.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 63
  • .temp-1hjhjh.jpg
    .temp-1hjhjh.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 56
  • .temp-4.jpg
    .temp-4.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 60
OP
OP
mofoco1

mofoco1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Clovis, CA
Finished, Yeh right!

Finally finished the bumper and installed it with the winch. Still need to get the rope for it and the Red ano thimble with the Ti pin. Turned out pretty nice,. It is off a bit so I will have to shim the overlay. Problem is that all the work in the last 2 months have all been outside in the back where there is no power and often time I am there with a flashlight measuring and fitting, then running back into the garage to cut, weld or modify something, so plenty of margin for error. All in all I like the way it turned out. I still have the idea I want to put a top floor of sorts, but I had to have it all together to see how I want to cut and where I want to place the supports underneath. I am thinking some go fast holes too and down the road when $$ allows I may dimple them to appease Pokey! Last pic is of one tired MoFo!!!

Attachments

• 123.jpg
    123.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 72
  • 115.jpg
    115.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 69
  • 110.jpg
    110.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 71
  • 107.jpg
    107.jpg