• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

fitting the nv3550 into clutch/flywheel

nate213

Loc.
West jordan, Utah
i am currently in the process of installing a new 3550 transmission.i purchased the complete swap kit from toms. i can't seem to get the input shaft into the clutch and flywheel. is there any trick to get it to fit in properly?

Joe473

Did you use an alignment tool as you bolted disc and pressure plate to flywheel?

Check pilot bearing dimension vs pilot shaft on trans?

Last put trans in gear when installing and turn output shaft a little to get splines on disc and trans lined up. Also don't let weight of trans rest on input shaft when trying to line up or you may bend clutch disc and get chatter.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
nate213

nate213

Loc.
West jordan, Utah
is the alignment tool the plastic piece that looks like the end of the input shaft at the end of the tranny going into the bell housing?

BRONCO26

Loc.
SENOIA
Try putting clutch disc on output shaft first to make sure the disc is the right one.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
is the alignment tool the plastic piece that looks like the end of the input shaft at the end of the tranny going into the bell housing?

When I bought my kit from Toms, there wasn't an alignment tool made for that combination of pilot bearing and splines. I had to modify one by adding a piece and machining it down to the larger pilot size.
Glad they finally made a proper one. ;)

kancox

I just wrapped the end of alighment tool with gorilla tape to the right diameter,worked great

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
As they've already said, but common issues:

1. Did you use the new custom pilot bearing for the 3550? Not a standard one.
2. Did you use the specific clutch disc for the 3550? It's not custom, but it's not Bronco.
3. If you didn't use the pilot tool, you could be pretty far off. Especially if you didn't monitor the position of the disc as you were torquing down the pressure plate/cover.

If you did all of those, and are pretty sure that the disc is close to being centered and you know the splines have started to engage but can't get the tip into the pilot bearing, you can connect the clutch and have a helper push down on the pedal to let the plate self-align while you're pushing in on the transmission.
This has worked every time for me, when the cheapy clutch alignment tool didn't.

Actually too, short of connecting all the linkage, you can actually push the clutch release lever enough to relieve enough pressure for the disc to float a bit and self-align.
I did it that way a couple of times when I was younger, stronger and more limber. Not sure I could still do it, but it does work.

Good luck!

Paul

OP
OP
nate213

nate213

Loc.
West jordan, Utah
I did all those things and now have it all on. Now I'm not sure how my 4wheel shifter goes in. I had the tunnel cover in with the three on the floor shifter. Can I use the old shifter or will I need to get a new shifter setup?

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I did all those things and now have it all on. Now I'm not sure how my 4wheel shifter goes in. I had the tunnel cover in with the three on the floor shifter. Can I use the old shifter or will I need to get a new shifter setup?

Is it a "J" or a "T" shift transfer case?