• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fixing up a rusty Bronco

2badrotties

Just a Bronco guy !
Loc.
Niskayuna N.Y.
I been thinking for about a week now about fixing up rusty Broncos and the people who do them. I just want to say that I have a LOT of respect for the guys here who tackle the job themselves without having any real bodyshop experience / tools. I been working on one for a couple of weeks and thinking about just how piss poor some of these aftermarket parts fit and I just can't believe what it must be like for a first timer.

RUST and repairing it is one topic we need to keep going so that any first timers can look and find the answers they need in a hurry. We as a group really need to keep track of what parts fit pretty well and what parts DON'T. I'm not talking about a vendor bashing thread But.... it may help to know whos parts fit pretty well and whos parts need some parental supervision. maybe like a skill level chart ;D like model cars.

Moving around - I think that just about everyone who has worked on one of these and cut off parts like kick panels and door posts has learned a trick or two about parts moving around ( cowl top sagging etc ) and maybe a thread with tips and measurements should be kept up near the top of threads like a sticky or something.

I also think that if a vendor is going to sell you a part like a door post or floorpan, kickpanel, etc. I think they should be able to include at least ONE sheet of paper with some basic measurements or tips for installing such parts, it isn't going to cost them that much to research some basic info and copy it to send along with some of these parts to help out the guys who may be trying this for the first time :)

Again... for those of you who do this with little experience and even fewer tools .. I tip my hat to you !!! :) ;D

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Great idea 2bad.
I know I'm getting ready to replace the floor pans in my 73 and I'm not looking forward to it one bit but I do plan on measuring everthing out and comparing to my rust free 71 before I do anything. I'd gladly post the measurements I take.

Broncoman

Bronco Guru
That sounds like a great idea. Here are some measurements that I have saved from some cigarette craving,redhead chasing guy named Andy:p They came in handy.

The set on the right I don't know where they came from.

Attachments

• measurements.JPG
    measurements.JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 262
  • floorpan_holes.jpg
    floorpan_holes.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 174
OP
OP
2badrotties

2badrotties

Just a Bronco guy !
Loc.
Niskayuna N.Y.
Broncoman said:
That sounds like a great idea. Here are some measurements that I have saved from some cigarette craving,redhead chasing guy named Andy:p They came in handy.

The set on the right I don't know where they came from.

The picture on the right I think is from a couple of things I measured for Brian72 but I'm not sure. I can hardly think straight !!! I have no cigarettes :( , and I have not seen my redhead friend in quite a while :( . I may have seen her for the last time as she is very sick :( :(

Imagator

Loc.
Land O' Lakes, FL
Thanks 2bad! I am one of those first timers. This is my first Bronco and first build of any kind. Before I started this eight months ago my most acompliished mechanical feat was changing a tire in the sand. I couldnt have told you what a transfer case was or mig welder looked like. I never really worked on a car in my life, however this morning I am reading threads for tips on the motor I am going to install today. looking back at some of the threads I posted I realize how painfull they must have been for you experienced guys to read. I have come a long way and as soon as I can figure out how to minimize my pics I will post some of my progress. I should have them up by Sunday. I have used this site as a resource for everything I have done, from learning how to do body work to building my motor. After reading your thread, I want to thank you and everyone else who has taken time to help me.

SeaBiscuit68

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tacoma Wa
Boy I couldn't agree more. Without this board and especially you, doing it would be unfathomable to me. As it is, I'm feeling brave and confident. Rust repair / metal replacement is the common denominator for all EB owners. Therefore it is paramount in the topic hierarchy. There's been good information passed here, some I've caught and saved and some I've missed. Occasionally the point is raised about centralizing data. A search feature has limitations. It occurs to me that it would require someone to spearhead the mission. Someone qualified.

OP
OP
2badrotties

2badrotties

Just a Bronco guy !
Loc.
Niskayuna N.Y.
Jeepster said:
like this?
attachment.php

?:? I got lost on that link ;D

BroncoJAK

Bronco Guru
I'll add my two cents: I replaced the floor pans on the OBB with what I was told was the best replacement panels available. Not going to do any vendor bashing so I won't say where they came from. However if they are the best available then no good floor pan replacements are available. They are patch panels not replacements. Wish I had gone ahead and put in the time and effort and made then myself like I had on mine. I did replace kick panels and inner fenders on mine from WH and 2 thumbs up on them.

broncoswede61

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Los Angeles,CA
I sure wish that this site was in existance 10 years ago when I bought my rust bucket.....and I wish I could ship it to 2bad to fix it right.But with all the great info I've gotten here I now will be able to do it myself someday....like when my son goes off to college(he's 4);D

Broncoman

Bronco Guru
SeaBiscuit68 said:
...It occurs to me that it would require someone to spearhead the mission. Someone qualified.
Someone who doesn't work anymore. With lots of free time. Cough cough 2bad cough cough

sellitall

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Malvern, Pennsylva
yellowrouge said:
I'll add my two cents: I replaced the floor pans on the OBB with what I was told was the best replacement panels available. Not going to do any vendor bashing so I won't say where they came from. However if they are the best available then no good floor pan replacements are available. They are patch panels not replacements. Wish I had gone ahead and put in the time and effort and made then myself like I had on mine. I did replace kick panels and inner fenders on mine from WH and 2 thumbs up on them.

I have no complaints on the floors. I like the way they are designed. Most of the EB's I see with inner rust issues have it centralized on the floor pans. The trans tunnel is usually good. I know you guys can give me 100's of pics to prove me wrong, but i'm going on what I've repaired/seen. How were the ones you made different? You may have a marketing future ahead of you.

Basically, any aftermarket part is going to have its share of fittment problems. I'm also a bodyman by trade, so I've seen some of the worst out there. Some parts are good, some mediocre, and some just down right terrible. As far as EB replacement sheetmetal goes, and for the amount I've used, I'd say it's on the positive side. I just did a 1/4 and inner wheelhouse replacement on a 70 Chevelle which was a nightmare. The parts were big bucks to boot. 2Bad is right though, the vendors should definitely supply a sheet with measurements/pics and procedures. I do it for a living, but still find myself scratching my head doing restos. That's where the internet comes in.

Blue71

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Jeepster said:
Sorry, the "post a image" link dosent work.

Jeepster..link didn't work. Hey thats the load of stuff I bought the other day sitting on the trailer in my driveway. No kidding:):)

Blue71

daj

I'm about to do my first Bronco, but having done a few other restos I have found out that repo means it will ALMOST fit.
I talked to someone at Duffs before I orderd my door post and kick panel and he said they all come from the same suplier!
dj

OP
OP
2badrotties

2badrotties

Just a Bronco guy !
Loc.
Niskayuna N.Y.
I installed a door post from Toms a few years back and it was pretty nice. I just did two from Jeffs and there is no way they are as good as what was available in the past. :)

jbeyer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
new york city
it slowly coming along. no ones in a big rush, and i dont wanna ruin andys extended vacation by making him work too hard. ;D i just picked up a grill for it today (thanks, kontinu) and we are still lookin for a decent driver side door.

OP
OP
2badrotties

2badrotties

Just a Bronco guy !
Loc.
Niskayuna N.Y.
jbeyer said:
it slowly coming along. no ones in a big rush, and i dont wanna ruin andys extended vacation by making him work too hard. ;D i just picked up a grill for it today (thanks, kontinu) and we are still lookin for a decent driver side door.

Joe... it isn't getting done at all. I been on crutches for a week :( . Don't feel bad though, Jag isn't getting done either. :( :(

Something happened to my foot. Feels like bones rubbing on bones in there. happened a couple of years ago and went away. I'm hoping it goes away this time too. I'm hoping I can get something done tomorrow.

sellitall

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Malvern, Pennsylva
daj said:
I'm about to do my first Bronco, but having done a few other restos I have found out that repo means it will ALMOST fit.
I talked to someone at Duffs before I orderd my door post and kick panel and he said they all come from the same suplier!
dj

Dennis Carpenter supplies most of the EB aftermarket sheetmetal out there. One item I know is junk, but I don't think it's a Dennis Carpenter item, is the taillight housings. If you need to replace them, all I can say is GOOD LUCK!!! I was going to replace mine, but when I got them they were total junk. They are paper thin, and don't fit for sh#t. They don't even come with the tabs for the lights. I'd steer clear of them if you can. I think there are a bunch of threads on here bashing them as well. I'm only grafting the lower sections of them onto my tub since the rest were in good shape. I even hate doing that.