• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Flare cutout prodedure ?

77Mule

Loc.
St. Louis, MO
Just currious as to what is the best way to cut the sheet metal out on the front and back quarterpanels in order to make room for the fiberglass fender flares. What works best. Torch, wheel, saw, nibbler ?

Thanks.

2badrotties

Just a Bronco guy !
Loc.
Niskayuna N.Y.
I don't think there is a best way. The torch is NOT the best way by any means. I used regular tin snips. Some people use a cut off wheel , others use a saws all. What do you have to work with ? That is best , but not the torch ;)

Trigger

I just did my front flares and used a jig saw with a metal blade. It worked awesome, it makes a nice accurate cut and gives you great control over the cut. If you use one make sure your blade is long enough so it doesn't come up out of the cut it can booger things up a little.
Trigger

Yellow75

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sioux Falls, SD
Cut-off wheel works really nice too. I actually used a rotozip with the metal cutting discs. (not very cheap i'll add though).. Cuts like butter and it doesn't vibrate the fender at all. I tried the sawzall but it grabs and shakes the piss out of the fender making it hard to cut. You don't have to worry about the skids bouncing off of the paint with a cut-off wheel either.

Texas77

Loc.
Temple, Tx
When I get around to doing mine I will get a few fenders from the junkyard a practice with different tools to see what gives me the best cut and control with me doing it. I have all the tools but want to get confidence in one before I go at the Bronco.

Chip

grant_71

Bronco Guru
Plasma CUtter ;D if ya got one....i dont, but barrowed one a while back, things are great, versatility of a torch but not nearly as much distortion

josehpatrickgray

Loc.
Coatesville, Pennsylvania
I would use a jigsaw or a air cut off wheel. These will give you the best control. I a sawsall gets out of control it could do some damage. Also use a brand new blade this way the blade will be less likely to grab causing a dent in whatever you are cutting.

velpoe

Loc.
Cumberland, MD
I just cut one of my front fenders last night. Like yellow75, I used my rotozip with the cutoff wheel. Cuts like butter.

Hold the flare in the position you want and mark. I'm using stainless steel screws on mine so I put the flare on with three screws and marked it. Then use 1 inch masking tape, preferably the blue stuff (it comes off easier), and tape along the mark line such that the bottom edge of tape becomes your cut line. Then cut and be careful.

With the rotozip, I make an initial pass but not cut all the way through. Then the second pass goes through.
You can use the wheel to smooth the cut too. A little rustoleum will help guard that fresh metal from suface rust too. Good luck.