• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Flat no drop pitman arm ?

SHX669

Bronco Guru
I'm looking for a Flat as in no drop pitman arm ; does one exist and does anyone know what vehicle they came on or what a Ford or Dorman part # would be?
I've found a couple of Dorman that might work but they only give spes for the spine count., diameter and length.
I'm running a 4x4x2 box and Chevy TRE drag link/tie rod DOM setup.

OP
OP
S

SHX669

Bronco Guru
stock is pretty flat and bolts to 4x4x2. may have to ream the hole for Chevy TRE.
I've got a flat pitman that was on the Bronco {'68} when I bought it - C87a-35 --?? but the PO ground out the first 1/4' of splines on the "top end" toward the gear. This still leaves 5/8" of spline but I'd rather use this for "mocking up" something or just temporary use if I can find a new or one in good shape. I did a search on this cast # and haven't had any luck so far -so I don't know what the original application was for. This arm has the correct spline count and diameter and is only about 1/4" shorter than the newer arms I have { D3TA and a D6TA } -- hmm - now that I actually looked at the casting on the newer arms maybe what I thought was a 7 is actually a T - LOL - I'll swap those #s and see if that helps - but still want an arm with a unmolested splines .

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Probably ground them down to "re-key" it's position. If a perfectly flat one will do the job of aligning the draglink properly, they do make them at some of the fab houses. Maybe even Ruff Stuff Specialties? There are several specialty shops that make them however. Fro mild to wild, and I'm sure the pricing reflects their beefiness.
Usually offered by "racing fab" shops probably. Sorry I don't remember the names of the companies I've see offering them.

But they would certainly be one way of getting one, short of finding one in a junkyard.

Paul

m_m70

Contributor
Loc.
Pacifica, CA
C87a-35xx is the stamp on the one you want??

Is it possilble it's a C7TA-3590 which I think would have been cast in '67 and used on '67, '68 and early '69 broncos?

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My factory '77 pitman arm was flat, but I sold it to someone on here a long time ago when I moved to a drop type arm.

WFO Concepts has a bunch of flat pitman arm options, though I don't know if they have anything for your 4x4x2 box. https://www.wfoconcepts.com/cr/Pitman-Arms/3360

Push come to shove, you could always take the splined section of any drop type pitman arm, remove the arm portion, and fabricate your own shape, length, taper, etc. I've seen a few done that way with two pieces of 1/4" to 3/8" mild steel, fully welded down the edges once the desired profile was achieved.

79INA69

My factory '77 pitman arm was flat, but I sold it to someone on here a long time ago when I moved to a drop type arm.

WFO Concepts has a bunch of flat pitman arm options, though I don't know if they have anything for your 4x4x2 box. https://www.wfoconcepts.com/cr/Pitman-Arms/3360

Push come to shove, you could always take the splined section of any drop type pitman arm, remove the arm portion, and fabricate your own shape, length, taper, etc. I've seen a few done that way with two pieces of 1/4" to 3/8" mild steel, fully welded down the edges once the desired profile was achieved.
I am currently running a flat pitman arm on my 4x4x2 box that came off of a gmc safari v8 van. Late 90s early 2000s. Found it by luck. P/M me and I can send you a pic if your would like. I have the jbg frame bracket and the flat arm just clears the bottom of the frame

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
I'm looking for a Flat as in no drop pitman arm ; does one exist and does anyone know what vehicle they came on or what a Ford or Dorman part # would be?
I've found a couple of Dorman that might work but they only give spes for the spine count., diameter and length.
I'm running a 4x4x2 box and Chevy TRE drag link/tie rod DOM setup.
You don't want a flat pitman arm with a 4x4x2 box on an Early Bronco.

The factory drop is the minimum that allows the castle nut to clear the frame as the arm swings by. If you are running GM large TRE, then you would need to modify a factory one in order to get the right taper on the end.

I like the stock one from the 78-79 Bronco box, but it has the wrong angle built in for the drag link.

One thing to remember is that you want the longest pitman arm that will fit without colliding with your tie rod. The 4x4x2 box has a shorter steering range, and if you run it with a short pitman arm, you can't get from full lock to lock. You will lose a bunch of turning radius.

If you want a factory C8TA-3590-F Bronco pitman arm, send me a PM. I've got a few extra.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
In tuning my bumpsteer, I was running a heim on TOP of a drop pitman arm to get the angle of the dangle right.

OP
OP
S

SHX669

Bronco Guru
You don't want a flat pitman arm with a 4x4x2 box on an Early Bronco.

The factory drop is the minimum that allows the castle nut to clear the frame as the arm swings by. If you are running GM large TRE, then you would need to modify a factory one in order to get the right taper on the end.

I like the stock one from the 78-79 Bronco box, but it has the wrong angle built in for the drag link.

One thing to remember is that you want the longest pitman arm that will fit without colliding with your tie rod. The 4x4x2 box has a shorter steering range, and if you run it with a short pitman arm, you can't get from full lock to lock. You will lose a bunch of turning radius.

If you want a factory C8TA-3590-F Bronco pitman arm, send me a PM. I've got a few extra.
Thanx - I'll send a PM . The joys of modifying previous custom steering setups- lol. I think the flat C8TA pitman will clear when I installed the 4x4x2 I used a "reinforcing" mounting bracket so the gear is mounted a little lower. As mentioned another option is a pitman with a 2 - 2 1/2" drop and connect the drag link at the top of the pitman . The arms with a drop of 4" is too much.