• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Flat towing without shocks

Bronco Brian

Bronco Guru
I need to travel around 50 miles without shocks and don't have a trailer.

Bad idea?

VERY BAD IDEA I went 2 block with no shocks was all over the road. I would not try it

This was my 500 post and I missed it

Last edited:
OP
OP
collinbrewer

collinbrewer

Loc.
Austin
Crap. I don't have the money right now to get the shocks I want and I don't want to drop $150 bucks on shocks I don't want.

Any ideas?

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Would he be able to use some ratchet straps to compress the suspension then tow? Should make it a lot less bounce for the ounce ;D
Where are you located? I am sure someone around you has a trailer to borrow.

65 mustang

If you want to pay shipping both ways you can borrow mine! I got stock height.

Scott

Amac70

ME
if your towing it i don't see the problem. might get a little body roll but should be fine. ive driven with out rear shocks and its little rolly but i wouldn't call it dangerous.

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
I like Tito's idea, compress the suspension a little should help. I surmise you mean tow it with a tow bar. What are you towing it behind and any of those 50 miles on the high way? I would be reluctant to do it at highway speeds but back roads, I would probably do it without thinking twice and provided you are using a decent tow rig. I wouldn't want to tow it with another EB but if you are using like an F350 or something, that's a different ball game. But I have also taken a lot of foolish chances in my life. :eek:

OP
OP
collinbrewer

collinbrewer

Loc.
Austin
I had considered using ratchet straps to keep it compressed a bit.

I will be using a Dodge 1500. I am in Tomball, TX. There are back roads to get to where I am going that I could use.

I have access to a trailer but it's just as far as where I need to get the Bronc.

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
Well the trailer is your best bet but adding 100 miles round trip, no so fun. ratchet the suspension down a little and take it easy. Stick to back roads and I think you will be fine. Worse case, 10 minutes into it if it doesn't feel right turn around then plan on trailering it. If you have a uhaul local you can rent one pretty cheap. All in all, rental or 100 miles out of the way, still a heck of a lot cheaper than buying the shocks twice...

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
IF you have a local rental yard I would just rent a dolly then if you dont have a tow bar, they will typically cost you at LEAST $50 and you can rent a round trip dolly for about $25, thats what it cost me last time. I would still compress the suspension at least in the front.

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
IF you have a local rental yard I would just rent a dolly then if you dont have a tow bar, they will typically cost you at LEAST $50 and you can rent a round trip dolly for about $25, thats what it cost me last time. I would still compress the suspension at least in the front.

Rent the dolly or a trailer from u haul or the local equivalent. Don't buy the tow bar you are likely not to use it again.

admin

Administrator
Just your friendly, neighborhood webmaster...
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
Maybe I'm missing something here, but the trailer 50 miles from you sure seems like the obvious choice. You can strap down the frame (in addition to the axles) so no issue with not having shocks. You don't have to buy a tow bar you may never use again (and drill holes in the bumper or fab up brackets to the frame). You don't have to pay for renting a dolly (which would still not solve your bouncing problem not having shocks)

A couple hours extra drive time is definitely worth the added safety of a trailer, IMHO.

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
Jon,

I would tend to agree with you here since there is a need for the tow bar and prepping to use it.

Pete