• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Flex fan to stock w/fan clutch!??

matt w

Bronco Guru
I have been having overheating problems ON THE TRAIL
ONLY at slow working speeds!!

I have replaced all new coolant last week with a new
Thermostat. I have an aluminum radiator that was installed new in October. I have also installed a hi flow water pump. The thing runs just great on the highway but it just gets HOT on the trail. I do have shroud. I had it tuned up also last week! STILL OVER HEATS!

I was told to eliminate the flex fan.

I have it all torn apart and IT SEEMS that with the fan clutch installed that there is not enough room for this set up!!

SO my question is when the PO installed the flex fan is there an adaptor that the PO installed and NOW a stock fan and fan clutch will not work?!?? It sure seems like it!!!!

What part would I need to purchase in order to return to the stock set up!?

ALSO SHOULD I JUST KEEP THW FLEX FAN AND PURCHASE A 4 row radiator!!

This heating issue is rediculous!!!! UGH!!

PS ITS SITTING DEAD IN THE GARAGE WAITING FOR THE NEXT MOVE!;<{

Again thanks for your help and input!!

Matt W.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Why do you want to run a clutch fan? Dump the clutch and run it direct.

Trooper1276

Loc.
San Antonio TX
I agree. You don't need a clutch. Flex fan should be fine for low speeds. If its only heating up on the trail I would suggest an external trans cooler, if it's auto. Also are you running a stock water pump pulley?

OP
OP
matt w

matt w

Bronco Guru
I agree. You don't need a clutch. Flex fan should be fine for low speeds. If its only heating up on the trail I would suggest an external trans cooler, if it's auto. Also are you running a stock water pump pulley?

I have an external trans cooler. Heats up on slow trail runs only! I run a teraflex gear reduction kit and was told that the fan ends up spinning too fast and will not pull enough air. From my experience this seems to be the case as the tcase upgrade was don this past winter and although I had prEvious overheating issues it does seem to have become more drastic this year. I am running a hiflow water pump as well.

OP
OP
matt w

matt w

Bronco Guru
Why do you want to run a clutch fan? Dump the clutch and run it direct.

Did these trucks come stock with a fan
Clutch? I was attempting to go back to a stock
Fan set up to see
If that helps!??

OP
OP
matt w

matt w

Bronco Guru
No takers eh? Should i bolt a steel fan to a stock 302 set up, or is that a bad idea? Did these trucks come stock With fan clutches? I'm DIW as its all apart waiting for the next move!,,,,well
IT ain't moving anywhere till its back together Heh heh

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
Id rather have a clutch fan over the stocker anyday!!!! But i havent had it on the trail yet. I just know that the clutch is about 1000 times quieter than the stocker i took off.

What motor? not that it matters but i have heard alot of overheating questions coming from the 351 guys lately. My 289 runs cool.

Thats pics of stock 68 289 fan and the clutch fan i installed this spring.

Attachments

• IMG_1832.jpg
    IMG_1832.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1833.jpg
    IMG_1833.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 33

nobodysfool

Loc.
wheatfield,new york
i had this issue with my 70 mach1 get rid of the flex fan.i started with the clutch fan then flex fan finally called flex-o-lite fans.told them my issue their solution was a fan used on the big block 428 stangs.6 stainless blades with a 2inch throw.you open the hood and it will part your hair!try summit racing

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
Did these trucks come stock with a fan
Clutch? I was attempting to go back to a stock
Fan set up to see
If that helps!??

Just a steel rigid fan no clutch. Mines stock, it's not loud, but I'm sure the Explorer serp w/the clutch fan moves alot more air at any RPM than the stock rigid set up.

OP
OP
matt w

matt w

Bronco Guru
here is what I just pulled off the truck...is this the stock one? If so do they wear out?

Attachments

• stock fan 2.jpg
    stock fan 2.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 28
  • stock fan 1.jpg
    stock fan 1.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 21
OP
OP
matt w

matt w

Bronco Guru
Just a steel rigid fan no clutch. Mines stock, it's not loud, but I'm sure the Explorer serp w/the clutch fan moves alot more air at any RPM than the stock rigid set up.[/QUOT

Well at this point a fan clutch will not fit the way my truck is set up..hmmmmm?

OP
OP
matt w

matt w

Bronco Guru
here is what I just pulled off the truck...is this the stock one? If so do they wear out?

OK I put my glasses on an the fan is stamped FOMOCO so it appears to be a stock flex fan!...Now whay if I put a HARD STEEL fan? that should pull more air...wouldnt ya think;D

Justafordguy

Bronco Guru
They did not come with a clutch fan from the factory. That fan you took off looks factory to me, they were flex fans. The rigid fan (like I run) will pull more air but they are noisy. I don't think you can run a clutch fan without modifying the core support and moving the rad forward or changing everything over to a serp setup.

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
The stock fan is a very good fan. They move a lot of air, just not as much as the Explorer fan. You may have another issue besides the fan, if it's overheating at low speed, especially if your RPM's are up with the Terra Lo.

OP
OP
matt w

matt w

Bronco Guru
They did not come with a clutch fan from the factory. That fan you took off looks factory to me, they were flex fans. The rigid fan (like I run) will pull more air but they are noisy. I don't think you can run a clutch fan without modifying the core support and moving the rad forward or changing everything over to a serp setup.

Ok thanks.....I'm gonna try a hard steel NON-Flex fan and see how that works and sounds!

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Matt,
my 74 all stock motor did not come with a clutch fan maybe 76-77 might have I dont know. the fan you have looks like mine.
Are you running your tranny cooler before your radiator, after your radiator or divorced from the radiator.
I run my tranny cooler divorced from the radiator. my tranny never gets over 160 F
My motor I use a 180 thermostat and never goes over 190. It took a long time to get this rig to run cool. for over a year I couldnt get over Cajon pass at 220F It took alot of little things to make it work.
I run 4:11 gears on 33 inch tires.

OP
OP
matt w

matt w

Bronco Guru
The stock fan is a very good fan. They move a lot of air, just not as much as the Explorer fan. You may have another issue besides the fan, if it's overheating at low speed, especially if your RPM's are up with the Terra Lo.

Yep that's what my mechanic said! The rpms with the Tera Lo is causingT the stock fan to flex too much at slow speeds! Too Funny!!! Make a killer trail Improvement and have to deal with other stuff cause of it!! HEh heh