• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

fluid recomendations

papy

Contributor
Folks,

Getting closer and closer to firing up my 67 5.0 explorer swap. Currently working on the HB and brake lines and hoping to have that all wrapped up by Monday of next week.

Need recommendations for the following fluids

brake fluid type- Dot???
1985 dodge diplomat MC (Cardone # 13-1860)
wilwood 260-8419 Brake Proportioning Valve
disk/drum set up

Power steering fluid type?
1996 explorer 5.0 power steering pump
1996 explorer power steering cooler
2003-04 super duty remote reservoir from (Cardone# 3R905)
2001 super duty hydro boost unit
early bronco power steering box

Also for those who are using the diplomat MC does it matter which port to use for the front or rear brakes? since its a single reservoir makes sense to use the port closest to the firewall for the rears and the forward one for the fronts? just making sure before i run the lines...

Primary Port Size 1/2 x 20 rear port

Secondary Port Size 9/16 x 20 front port

Reservoir Type Single

JP

Attachments

• engine bay.jpg
    engine bay.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 50

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Brake Fluid: Any DOT3 or better fluid should be fine for your use. I run Valvoline Synthetic DOT3/4 HD Fluid (blue/white bottle) in most of my low-performance vehicles, as it's readily available just about anywhere, cost's about $8/32 oz bottle, and works great. My higher performance applications get Motul RBF 660 or something similar, but it costs over 6X more per ounce and always hurts a little every time I bleed the brakes.

Most Mopar master cylinders I've worked with were reversed with the front port feeding the rear brakes and vice versa.

I run Redline Power Steering fluid in my cars: https://www.redlineoil.com/power-steering-fluid

Tobin

Bajabrewer

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'd run the brake lines the way they are run in the stock Dodge way - just guessing here but if there is a residual pressure valve for the drums like a ford then you don't want to swap front & back.

OP
OP
papy

papy

Contributor
thanks! I also like the redline products
cheers

OP
OP
papy

papy

Contributor
Type F ATF was used starting around there and ran through the 00s for power steering.

Brake Fluid: Any DOT3 or better fluid should be fine for your use. I run Valvoline Synthetic DOT3/4 HD Fluid (blue/white bottle) in most of my low-performance vehicles, as it's readily available just about anywhere, cost's about $8/32 oz bottle, and works great. My higher performance applications get Motul RBF 660 or something similar, but it costs over 6X more per ounce and always hurts a little every time I bleed the brakes.

Most Mopar master cylinders I've worked with were reversed with the front port feeding the rear brakes and vice versa.

I run Redline Power Steering fluid in my cars: https://www.redlineoil.com/power-steering-fluid

Tobin

I'd run the brake lines the way they are run in the stock Dodge way - just guessing here but if there is a residual pressure valve for the drums like a ford then you don't want to swap front & back.

Just trying to figure out which one is for the rears. Calling Cardone tomorrow to hopefully get an answer form them

cheers

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Just trying to figure out which one is for the rears. Calling Cardone tomorrow to hopefully get an answer form them

cheers

You can use a wire or straightened paper clip to determine whether there's a residual pressure valve in the outlet port of a master cylinder...if it inserts all the way to the piston bore, then there's no RPV. If not, then there is one.

In general, most of the remanufacturers and new MC's have moved away from RPV's, as the modern cup seal technology in wheel cylinders don't seem to require it anymore in order to function properly.

Tobin

OP
OP
papy

papy

Contributor
You can use a wire or straightened paper clip to determine whether there's a residual pressure valve in the outlet port of a master cylinder...if it inserts all the way to the piston bore, then there's no RPV. If not, then there is one.

In general, most of the remanufacturers and new MC's have moved away from RPV's, as the modern cup seal technology in wheel cylinders don't seem to require it anymore in order to function properly.

Tobin

Thanks for sharing! the primary is the rear port for the front brakes and the secondary is the front port for the rear brakes

got all my fluids sorted out as well!

Cheers