• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fly wheel hitting dust cover??

la hi

I put the engine and transmission in (351w) (np435) When I start the engine up and running there is a clatter. I think the flywheel is hitting the dust cover some how. People are saying that it could be the starter, hitting the dustpan but that can't be.
What are your thoughts before I pull the engine or transmission again?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My thoughts are you should not pull anything until you've narrowed it down a bit more.
Have you actually gone underneath and put ear to sound to narrow down the culprit? I would do that simply because I hate taking engines and/or transmissions out more than once!

If you've already done that, what did you hear/find? Any chance of getting a video of it?
Did you change anything? Were the engine and trans in the vehicle before, or at either, or both new to the vehicle?

New style starter? Or just a new starter in basic trim? Sometimes new stuff isn't so great and maybe it is hanging up a bit after spinning up the engine.
Would certainly be nice to replace just a starter instead of taking the whole thing apart!

Good luck.

Paul

Justafordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If you're careful you can remove the starter after you crank it up and see if the noise goes away.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Grab the front pulley on the crank and try to push it in and out. Check crankshaft endplay. Correct is only a couple of thousandths of an inch (the thickness of a sheep of paper. If it has noticeable movement, the thrust is pushed out of the crank.

OP
OP
la hi

la hi

Found the problem. The dust cover was for the wrong style of 351w. It has a reinforcing bead that hits on the flywheel nuts. I am not going to pull the engine and put the right on on. Bent the beads in and it stopped.
Thanks for the idea.