• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

follow up... oil leak.

leelandaiche

Loc.
Gonzales, La
aight originally one of my leaks was in the valve cover gasket on the passenger side. fixed that and i was still having a bad leak on the passenger side and thought it was coming from the rear main seal. still dont know where it was coming from. i couldnt really drive it too far without having oil spewing out and a lot of smoke coming from the passenger side exhaust pipe and from under the hood. ive been driving it around town and it has gradually gotten better. yesterday... being from Louisiana and it being gameday... i decided to drive it to baton rouge. i cruised pretty much all day and got minimal drops of oil when i came to a stop and no smoke from under the hood. i did however have smoke coming from the passenger exhaust pipe ONLY when i cam to a redlight and i was at idle. but when i started going again there was nothing. and sometimes when i was at an idle it wouldnt throw out smoke. is there any chance that gaskets could be correcting themselves? the lady i bought it from did not drive it much at all and pretty much sat in her shed for bout 9 months. any ideas? or is that not possible?

Bilgamesh

Loc.
Pilot Point, TX
Did you ever try changing out the PCV. If you did, maybe it was the problem causing the excess crankcase pressure. Also, if so, you may still have some leaks left over from the excess pressure that are kicking out a little oil still. Best of luck!

OP
OP
leelandaiche

leelandaiche

Loc.
Gonzales, La
we checked the pcv and it was recently changed. it was brand new. i got some more info from another source and he said that it sounds like it COULD be that when it was rebuilt they might have put synthetic oil in it. he said that it is never a good idea to do that bc the seals and rings would never fasten. so we took his advice and changed the oil(which it needed it anyway) and put 20W50 in it with some kind of oil treatment that he told us to get. he said to do that and drive the hell out of it! its worth a shot! just got back from doing that. thanks for stickin with me man! ill let u know how it works! im just excited that it is getting better. im able to drive it now! woo hoo!!!