• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

For those of you who have rebuilt a t-case

TexasBronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Waterford, MI
I mean taken it all apart, cleaned it and then put it back together using a kit similar to the one from jeffs. Once you were done, before you put the oil in, did it seem "hard" or "firm" when tou turned the gears?

edge4

Contributor
Loc.
Gonzales, Texas
When I finished my D20 full rebuild (using the JBG kit), I had set the endplay incorrect and the gears moved easily. After I had Austin Drive train reset the endplay correctly, I could hardly turn the yokes by hand. It has worked perfectly for 3000 miles.

OP
OP
TexasBronco

TexasBronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Waterford, MI
[quote author=edge4 link=board=5;threadid=16799;start=0#msg127957 date=1051415872]
When I finished my D20 full rebuild (using the JBG kit), I had set the endplay incorrect and the gears moved easily. After I had Austin Drive train reset the endplay correctly, I could hardly turn the yokes by hand. It has worked perfectly for 3000 miles.
[/quote]

End Play? Please explain.......And how much did that cost you?

edge4

Contributor
Loc.
Gonzales, Texas
The front and rear output shafts float between the two tapered bearings you just pressed into the case on your rebuild. The ammount of play is important. You need a dial indicator with a magnetic base. Enplay for each shaft is from 0.003 to 0.005 inch.
The drivetrain shop charged me $20.00 to set the endplay.
From the Ford Manual: (in the 500 links section)
21. Install a dial indicator on the front drive output shaft and check the end play as shown in Fig. 20. The end play should be 0.003-0.005 inch. If not within these limits, adjust the shim pack at the front output shaft rear cover.

swood

Loc.
San Jose, CA
Uh Oh. When I pulled mine apart I just reassembled with the shims that were there in the first place. I did NOT however pull apart the bearings and so on for that output shaft. I just removed the front and rear covers, cleaned everything and installed new seals. To remove that shaft required pullers and such which I did not have so I just left it sitting in the box loose.

Hopefully by not pulling it apart, the end play will stay the same as it was originally set. ???