• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

For those that have rebuilt their CV/Double Cardan joint thing...VIBRATION ISSUE

OP
OP
Devin

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
Ah well, it isn't fixed after all. I just move where the vibration happens. I took her out again today and felt a vibration at around 35 mph in 4th and then it seems to clear up up to around 60 mph. The road I was on the other day was a 50 mph zone, so I didn't really feel it.

Blah.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
I was wanting pictures to see if the shaft was out of phase. Your pinion angle looks good. The driveshaft could just suck. Do you have another one?

OP
OP
Devin

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
I was wanting pictures to see if the shaft was out of phase. Your pinion angle looks good. The driveshaft could just suck. Do you have another one?

No, I don't have another one. The driveshaft is "in phase". I think that the driveshaft may indeed just suck.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Have you tried driving in front wheel drive only yet? Pull the rear shaft off, lock the hubs, stick it in 4-high and see if it's completely gone or not. I'm sure it will be, since you seem to have isolated it to the rear shaft, but it never hurts to get a confirmation so that you're not chasing your tail between two separate sources.

Since you say that messing with it has changed the way it vibrates though, you're at least on the right track. What about pulling the caps off of the joints to make sure that the needles are all in place and in good shape. Maybe add some more grease to the centering ball in the CV yoke too. Sometimes that female zerk is finicky and you might not have gotten enough grease in there the first time to keep it happy.
Just a couple of thoughts. Long-shots as always, but you never can tell.

Paul

OP
OP
Devin

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
Have you tried driving in front wheel drive only yet? Pull the rear shaft off, lock the hubs, stick it in 4-high and see if it's completely gone or not. I'm sure it will be, since you seem to have isolated it to the rear shaft, but it never hurts to get a confirmation so that you're not chasing your tail between two separate sources.

Paul

I did drive it in front wheel drive with the rear driveshaft removed. It seemed much smoother from the rear, but there was a more pronounced vibration from the front (which I expected - my front DS pinion angle sucks, even with the degreed radius arm bushings).

When I get some more time, I will try the things you are suggesting. I have to spend some time with my F350 to try and figure out the noise that it is making. %)

Thanks for all of the suggestions, everybody.