• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

For those who run an AOD

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
How is yours set up?

What year AOD? From what vehicle?
1st gear? doubler? T-case? 9" ratio? Tire size?

List what you got and how you like it...

tonto

Bronco Guru
I'd recomend the last years of the AOD's, thats whats been recemended to me from a Ford tranny tech, I've run both the standard and now the wide ratio gear set and notice no difference between them.
I've run 4.88's with 35"s and now run 5.13 with 37"s with an Atlas t-case.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
89 truck 4x4, low gear set. 205 tc because it is strong and cheap. It also is a bolt on with no adapters. If I ever get an atlas it will swap out with the 205 with no additional drive shaft mods. Other info is on the thing below. I hope I like it!

Bax

purple72

Loc.
Wilkinson,IN
I run an AOD out of an 87" lincoln. It's been upgraded with the better oiling output shaft. Wide ratio gear set, Lentech valve body and Art Carr shifter. The D20 is truely twin sticked with a KluneV 4:1. Right now I'm running 4:11s w/ 33" tires. I'ts pretty nice going down the road @ 2000 rpm on the highway. Plus, my mileage is around 20. The benefits of the Lentech, is to be able to electrically remove 4th, and to hold EACH gear. (The aod 2-3 shift is controlled by line pressure). Oh, and I also put a 900 stall converter in it. This truck was originally built for rocks, but it's a pretty good street driver too. Actually, with the injection and the drivetrain, it kinda gives the best of both worlds. No sputtering, runs down the highway at a normal rpm, and gets good mileage. Plus, the 115 to 1 crawl ratio is damn impressive. If I can help out with more info, let me know.

Colo77Bronco

Contributor
Loc.
Colorado Springs
I have a 91 out of a mustang rebuilt with stronger gears and wide ratio gear set. I run 4.56 gears with 33's and I am still able to cruise at 75MPH without taxing the engine or tranny at all. I have a stock, I think 1800 rpm stall and lock-up converter. Lentech recommends a non-lock converter but EVERYONE else including Ford said the oppossite. Best mod I ever made.

Hazegray

I got mine from an 89(?) Lincoln. Rebuilt with kevlar bands, "red" clutches, etc. I run stock dana 20, 4.11's & 33 tires with no complaints. The 351W just cruises down the highway, barely breathing hard..:)

bsaunder

Bronco Guru
no idea on year - ordered a Lentech RV2000 with low gearset, HD shaft, HD converter w/ 1200rpm stall.
D20 tcase for now, STaK in my dreams, 4.88s and 36" tires. Haven't gotten the new engine up to speed yet to see how I do on the freeway, with my old 302 the OD was pointless except around town as my Bronco was too much of a flying brick to stay in OD.

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
for those who run the aod

Here is a question, what is the optimum gear for the 35" tire range? I see people post that they are running an AOD with 4.11 gears and 35s and they love it!? Seems to me you would never have enough gear to keep it in OD? I am running 4.56 gears and am still wondering if the gears will be low enough for the AOD over drive or likewise the the ZF 5th gear.

Ben

bax

Contributor
Old Member
bigmuddy said:
Here is a question, what is the optimum gear for the 35" tire range? I see people post that they are running an AOD with 4.11 gears and 35s and they love it!? Seems to me you would never have enough gear to keep it in OD? I am running 4.56 gears and am still wondering if the gears will be low enough for the AOD over drive or likewise the the ZF 5th gear.

Ben

I agree, I think 4.88 is a good gear for a 35'' tire with an OD.
IMO 4.11 with 35s would put a strain on the od gear

OP
OP
Madgyver

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
bax said:
I agree, I think 4.88 is a good gear for a 35'' tire with an OD.
IMO 4.11 with 35s would put a strain on the od gear
So that would be 5.13 for 37"s

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Madgyver said:
How is yours set up?

What year AOD? From what vehicle?
1st gear? doubler? T-case? 9" ratio? Tire size?

List what you got and how you like it...

Mine is an 86 out of a T-bird.(it was free) Rebuilt with all the bomb proof stuff, did not have the money for the low gear set from FMS. 3:15 Terra lows in D20, 4:11s with 33's. 2100rpm @ 70mph. It will get 16-17 on a flat level surface (EFI motor), staying @ 65mph, But that rarely happens...;D

doghows72

Bronco Guru
Go with 5:13's I run an AOD 5.0 37" MTR's and 4:56 gears. The 4:56's are not low enough. I cruise the freeway @ 75 mph turning 2200 rpm. I would like to be closer to 2500 rpm. Mine keeps shifting down from OD to often on the open road...

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Mine came out of an '99 Explorer V8 (actually it is a 4R70W that is computer controlled with the wide gear set, good sprag, all the upgradded bands, etc. factory installed).
With a stout 351, 4.88 gears are a little too low for 33" tires. Either running a weaker 302, taller 35" tires OR 4.56 gears would make this a little happier on the highway. I can still cruise whatever I want. 60 is about 2000 RPM, 65 is very comfortable. 75 as needed but the wind drag can be felt. Running late to the trail once I flew along at 85 but was still late. At 100 I reached the limits of the suspension and close to the top of 3rd gear. I backed off after seeing the horizion tipped 45° counterclockwise to the windshield while turning left in a right turn.