• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

For those who run really low gear combos

OP
OP
Madgyver

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Jeepincj7 said:
Now i have the 5.13s in and with the 36s, I drive 80mph to the trail if need be and crawl at 124:1.
Now that is sweet!!!

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
SgtRock said:
Don't forget auto v manual makes a difference in what low gears you need . . . I am running a C4 with a cold duck and 3.50 gears, its 2.43x2.46x2.46x3.5=51.46 but with the torque converter in there it feels more like 100:1.
Craig
Mineola, TX
'74
Exactly. The torque convertor in auto trannies is good for a multiplier of anywhere from 1.5:1 to 2.5:1. If your running an auto then don't let the manual guys fool you into thinking there is a huge difference when their crawl ratios come out to double those of the auto. The reason the auto trannies don't have those low gears is because they don't need them to get the same torque.

raharr3

Loc.
Linden,Ca
I was feeling like crap until I read the last post.
I hope with my C4 tera lows and 4.56 rp I will get some benefit. Hope to do the con and some other trails when I get it all together. Do you think this combo will be capable of some trails?

Jeepincj7

Loc.
Lake Elsinore, CA
raharr3 said:
I was feeling like crap until I read the last post.
I hope with my C4 tera lows and 4.56 rp I will get some benefit. Hope to do the con and some other trails when I get it all together. Do you think this combo will be capable of some trails?

You'll be fine. I have friends who run their Jeeps on the Hammers with the stock slush box and stock Tcase(similar gears to a D20). With the Tera gears you'll do even better.

pahoughton

Loc.
Colorado Springs, CO
Madgyver said:
Thinking about gearing again............. %)

Well my low will be 127 and my high will be 0.67 with my combo. My choices were based on the idea of having the most options.

4r70w 2.84 -> 0.67
Stock D20 2.46
Klune V 4.0
Rear 4.56

I'll still be doing 70 @ 2000 rpm and can chose Lows (2.46), Med (4.0) or Ultra Low 9.84. I'll also have a switch to lock my torque converter. FYI my Super Duty also has a Klune (2.73) which gives it 110 ultra low and I hardly ever use that.

Frankenhorse

Loc.
Smyrna,TN
Well AA has the Atlas II 6.0 now and thier 4 sp case is getting close....

I have been thinking of going with:

ZF transmission
Atlas 4.3 (I think it is 4.3 well you get the picture)
4.56 gears
35" tires

This should get me where I need to go....... For now ;D

If I read the info right this should let me get to the trails doing 75-80 @ 2500 or so. Crawl should be at 112:1