• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

For those who've installed BC's media console

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Did you install your top first, then the console or the other way around?

Working on one this weekend and have it installed with the top off. Trying to install the top, I can hardly squeeze my hands in between the console and top to tighten the bolts to the windshield.

If I take the console off to install the top, I can only lower the console as far as the wires for the dome light and stereo allow me to. This also doesn't take into account the two brackets that connect the console to the windshield holes.

Curious if anyone has any suggestions based on a successful install.

m_m70

Contributor
Loc.
Pacifica, CA
hey Justin
I have the console in mine but with the BC top and it's still a pain especially if running a full cage........

I did run this with my old hard top (which I sold you years back ;D) so I'll try to remember and give my 2 cents.

First, I ran some bullet connectors to the wiring which makes for a quick disconnect.

In the top far right and left corners I installed nut-serts as you can't really get in there to hold the attaching nut. Also used nut-serts for the braces.
Thinking next time I have it all a part I'll just use nut-serts across the whole frame but this is the way I have it now.

So what worked best for me was to fold the windshield frame down and install the media console by attaching the two "flap sides" with some stainless sheet metal screws. Put the top on and bolt down.

OP
OP
thegreatjustino

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
The problem with trying to do any kind of disconnect with the wiring, is the only access to the inside of the console is through the speaker holes on each end. How in the world would you reach in far enough to hook up the dome light? It seems silly to run and extra two to three feet of wire just to reach the connecting points, but you have to do what you have to do I guess.

While messing around with it this weekend, one of my first thoughts was nutserts along the windshield frame would be ideal. I know someone who has the tool. I should give him a call.

m_m70

Contributor
Loc.
Pacifica, CA
The problem with trying to do any kind of disconnect with the wiring, is the only access to the inside of the console is through the speaker holes on each end. How in the world would you reach in far enough to hook up the dome light? It seems silly to run and extra two to three feet of wire just to reach the connecting points, but you have to do what you have to do I guess.

While messing around with it this weekend, one of my first thoughts was nutserts along the windshield frame would be ideal. I know someone who has the tool. I should give him a call.

Yeah good point.....I've been doing it with the windshield folded down so its been pretty accessible. Pretty accessible with the soft top riser too but that doesn't help you out.

I have a good nutsert tool if you find yourself around the peninsula you're more than welcome to borrow it!