• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

ford 9" axel id?

lamp210

Loc.
northern michigan
hello my bronc's a 1975 but i did a rear-end swap some time ago and i know its a large bearing (new style) rear end. so with that said would this mean it has a 31 spline axel?
thanks.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Not necessarily. If you really want to know pull an axle out and see.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Nope doesnt mean its a 31 spline. Stock EB big bearing axles are 28 spline. Bearing size doesnt make any differance. As was said you'll have to pull a axle shaft and count the splines.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The nice thing about having had the axle shafts out before, is that they're likely still super easy to remove. Not having 30 years of grime, dried oil and rust all built up to keep the bearings locked in.
Nowadays, it takes me longer to get the diff jacked up and on a stand and a tire off than it does to get the brake drum and axle retaining bolts off. Slides out clean as you please.
Ten minutes max.

Paul