• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Ford Racing 306 - Good engine choice?

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
thats down in price from $4500 a few months ago, not bad really.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Not to bad of a price. but really all you do to get a 306 is bore a stock block out .030 which is all they are doing since they dont make 302 blocks anymore. All in all you could rebuild your current engine and install some good heads for less than that plus you wouldnt have to worry about getting the correct flywheel/flexplate or balancers.

Last edited:

addicted

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Broussard, Louisiana
I like how they call the block "seasoned" LOL. Its just used block bored .30. I think crate motors are great for simplicity but you really can build one for a lot cheaper. 302s are a dime a dozen really. I bet you could even find a low milage runner for under a grand. I guess it really depends on how much power you are looking to get compared to how much you are willing to spend.

addicted

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Broussard, Louisiana
Ford Racing does sell brand new 302 blocks. They were around $700 IIRC. Ofcourse that was a couple years ago so things might have changed.

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
You could literally build that engine yourself and save at least a grand PLUS, and NOT have to swap the oil pan and pick up, and I'd guess the timing cover/water pump...

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
They were around $700 IIRC. Ofcourse that was a couple years ago so things might have changed.
it was, and they don't, they stopped selling them 2 years ago. Cheapest stock ford block is a Boss at over $1200

gddyap

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Mtn View, CA
A couple advantages to crate engines is you save time compared to having your own engine rebuilt and this particular engine is built in one of Ford's factories. One downside is FRPP doesn't offer any warranty on their engines.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Actually all ford crate engines do have a 1 year/12,000 mile warrentee. but I'm sure dealing with a warrentee situation with them is not fun. Also I believe the FRPP is its own section not really part of the factory itself.

OP
OP
techlaf

techlaf

Contributor
So, really nothing all that special with the package? Heads are $1000 new, camshaft and lifter kit are $450, forged pistons and rings ~$700, aluminum valve covers $125, connecting rods and timing chain $300? = ~$2500 + $1K for clean block honed, assembled and warrantied.

What am I missing? How is it so much cheaper to source parts individually?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Nothing I'd consider specail. those power numbers are attainable with nothing more than heads and camshaft. But those power numbers may not be suited for your overall setup. A few people do run similar combos with good results though.
You really have to ask do you need a roller cam or just want one? Even then I think there are some better choices than the E303 for a bronco. Do you really want high power numbers out of a 302? the higher the HP numbers the less lowend it will have and probably the less you'll like it in a bronco application.
All in all most crate engines are not bad deals If you look at whats involved with rebuilding a engine and adding aluminum heads into the mix your going to be pretty close if not over that $3K price tag. personnally I like to do as much as I can myself that way I know who to blame if something goes wrong I'm my own warrentee. Something goes wrong with a crate motor and your fighting it out with the warrentee people and probably paying for shipping on both a new engine and your old engine if they decide to warrentee it.

OP
OP
techlaf

techlaf

Contributor
Point taken and I get it. If that group of parts is what you're looking for then great, but there are a lot of parts in those Ford Racing Crates that aren't the best choices for my Bronco or can't even be used (like the oil pan). And yeah, if there was a warranty issue and you were lucky enough to get them to admit fault, the shipping back and forth and the hassle of pulling is all mine. Not that great a deal.

I don't know what I'm doing so I will undoubtedly order the wrong part(s) or put it in wrong. I know that's the only way to learn, but the convenience factor of a crate is appealing.

I went to the Woodward Dream Cruise this year and Ford had their SVT team and Racing Parts people out there with all the crate engines and I got a chubby.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I would go the crate option. They were to expensive 2 years ago, ludicrous expensive, at $3k and change, now they are in the ballpark. No chasing parts, putting it together, etc, it's done. And I know how to build em.

I am now at 93 days and waiting for my motor from the machinist, they are that backed up.

OP
OP
techlaf

techlaf

Contributor
Or I can somehow convince you to ship that sweet 351 to me! If it's still around...

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
If you can spare a couple of weekends and an afternoon or two during the week you can build your own. HP books has a great book on building small block fords "How to rebuild small block Ford engines" by Tom Monroe, and another is "how to build max performance Ford V8's on a budget" by George Reid. Read those and you'll have a good idea if you can build your own engine. If you don't have the tools you can either borrow them or rent them. Most parts stores will rent cherry pickers and torque wrenches, you'll probably have to buy an engine stand, but they are fairly easy to find used for $40 and well worth it.

If you feel like you can build your own engine, we can all help you get through it. If you decide you don't want to or can't call around to several shops and see what they say. Like I always say if you get the standard 'list' of prices, move on. If a shop tells you that it all depends on what is needed, then they will be the shop! Around here a long block 'usually' sells for around $1800-ish. Yes it will be fairly generic. Yes you can build a NICE engine for that same price using your own labor.

Good luck.

Nightstick

Bronco guy
Like "needabronco" just said all the great folks here can help you along if you decide to rebuild it yourself. I knew just about nothing when I started mine and at this point I'm almost done with the motor. Parts selection is the most difficult part of the process. Even if you decide to have someone do it for you, if you're gonna scrap the old motor take it apart and learn how everything works.

I got the two books mentioned above which have helped, but not nearly as much as the other members here. Judging by the numbers in the "how to build max performance Ford V8s" if I installed a cam that's probably similar to the one in that crate motor I'd be looking at about 400hp. I opted for higher end heads and an RV cam which significantly increased the price but I'm probably still going to come in under $3400 for the long block components (I'd tell you the exact price but I really don't want to add it up :eek:).

The result will be a well built 351W with top notch components for cheaper than a crate 302. Just something to ponder.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Well the oil pan on that engine could be used in a bronco as its a dual sump and depending on what route you go with accessories the rest may or may not be used. I'm not saying its a bad choice of a engine for the price. Just saying there are other things to consider. Sure a aluminum headed 340 HP at 5500 RPM engine sounds nice but is it really what you need. building your own engine will allow you to build it with the power where its needed for your setup instead of just getting whatever comes in the crate.

I also think the books that a few people mentioned are good ideas but dont take whats in them to seriously a lot of the info in there is useful but not always practical or needed in our applications. But all the general stuff does apply.