• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Ford Racing 306 motor

mritchy1

I have stock 302 with a manual 3 speed and am thinking of getting the Ford Racing 306 engine. What parts would have to change to make it work.The 306 has a 50oz balancer and my 302 has a 28oz . Can I just change the 50oz to a 28oz and use my flywheel and clutch? The motors also have different firing orders can I use my distributor with Pertronix ? Is any one else using this engine and what do you think? My Bronco is just a weekend street truck with 4.11s and 33s
Thank you
Mike

weasel

Loc.
Norfolk
Not sure for your application, but I purchased a ford racing 302 thru summit racing about 12 years ago and it came with the 50 oz balancer and the proper flywheel.

From my understanding you can not just switch the balancers, you need to use the 50oz. The flywheel: I want to use an auto trans; so I removed the flywheel that came on the motor and had to get a differnt flex plate with a different tooth count making me have to get a another starter as well.

I would call their tech line to get the correct answers though.

Wyo4x4er

ok so the 306 is just and 302 with an over bored block. You cannot use a 28 oz balancer on a 50 oz engine. So a better solution is just get a 50 oz flywheel much cheaper. the dizzy should work but the gear on the bottom may not. Check what the cam gear material is. firing order doesnt matter as you are going to arrange the plugs on the cap to match.

OX1

Bronco Guru
I have stock 302 with a manual 3 speed and am thinking of getting the Ford Racing 306 engine. What parts would have to change to make it work.The 306 has a 50oz balancer and my 302 has a 28oz . Can I just change the 50oz to a 28oz and use my flywheel and clutch? The motors also have different firing orders can I use my distributor with Pertronix ? Is any one else using this engine and what do you think? My Bronco is just a weekend street truck with 4.11s and 33s
Thank you
Mike

I was looking at putting an explorer motor in recently, sticking with carb, stock front dress (including swapping timing chain cover to use mechanical pump), and duraspark and these are the minimum parts I thought I would need.

82-87 F150 302 flywheel (50 oz)-cheapest I found was $70 new-Advance auto

--------------------------------
Clutch linkage adapter, since late model block has no threaded hole for clutch linkage
Bronco graveyard-$20
Wildhorses-$45 (comes with extra support that BGY bracket does not)

----------------------------------

Balancer-50 oz
BC broncos, allows use of 3 or 4 bolt V-belt or 4 bolt serp-$125
Summit also has one for $77 dollars, looks like it has multiple sets of holes, not sure if it will work, see SUM-163302

------------------

Steel Distributor gear or remanned distributor with steel gear.
In my case, would be 1985 stang GT which had roller cam and still used duraspark

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Each motor has been balanced with it's corresponding balancer. 302 has a 28oz. Balance and the 306 (5.0 + .030 Bore) uses the 50oz. balancer.

Get 50 oz. Flywheel - Broncos vendors have these.
Same clutch will work.
New motor may have different Timing Cover
I would get new distributor with Steel gear.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Also the new motor will come with a 4-bolt damper on the front of the engine. That does not work with the stock Bronco accessory belt drive. So you have to decide what accessory belt drive you want to run.

The whole imbalance thing tends to confuse people from time to time. If you look at the crankshaft you notice it has counterweights on it. At the front and back of the engine there wasn't enough room so they put some of the counterweight on the outside of the engine, in the flywheel and damper. In the early 80's they revised the crankshaft and moved more counterweight to the outside. The center of the crankshaft has the counterweights it needs. But to get the front and the back of the engine to balance out you need the proper balance factor parts at each end. So the back of the crank needs the correct flywheel to match the missing weight from the crankshaft to balance the back of the engine. The front of the crankshaft needs the correct damper to balance the missing weight at the front of the crankshaft.

If you put the wrong flywheel on the back of the crankshaft will be out of balance. Changing the damper on the front won't fix the imbalance at the back, it will just throw the balance at the front off.

While we are at it, what tires and gears are you running? As you squeeze more HP out of smaller displacement you shift the powerband to higher RPMs. If you are trying to fix a doggy engine that is doggy because it is geared wrong with a higher HP engine, good chance it will be even doggier as you are further from the powerband. Proper gearing can make even a wore out engine feel good.

OP
OP
mritchy1

mritchy1

Broncobowsher.Thanks for your reply ,to answer your question . I have 411's and 33 in tires .How do you think this motor will work with this combo. Thanks to the rest of you also for your advice.

OP
OP
mritchy1

mritchy1

Weasel - How do you like your Ford Racing motor and what horse power and torque did you get?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Broncobowsher.Thanks for your reply ,to answer your question . I have 411's and 33 in tires .How do you think this motor will work with this combo. Thanks to the rest of you also for your advice.

That gear and tire should be pretty good. I was more worried that you would be running 35s with the 3.50 gears as a bad combonation.