• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Frame repair

gmduncan

Contributor
Loc.
Annapolis
I removed the back half of my recent purchase. Another '77, only to find frame rust and the previous owner covered the rear body mounts with steel plates. He didn't weld the covers to the frame. I did a quick grinding to get better pictures for you guys to see the mess. My thought is to cut out the bad and weld in new pieces. Am I way off base? Open to suggestions and input.

IMG_5921.JPG IMG_5918.JPG IMG_5920.JPG

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
Repairing the body mount holes isn't too bad of a job, just find the centers of the holes so you can redrill them in the correct place. As far as the rest of the frame goes, it might be better to section in a piece of a donor frame. Mine had some rust damage all along the rear part of the frame so I replaced it with another piece of frame I had bought pretty reasonable because it didn't come with a title.

Attachments

• frame section7.JPG
    frame section7.JPG
    196.6 KB · Views: 56
  • frame section5.JPG
    frame section5.JPG
    175.1 KB · Views: 51
  • frame section4.JPG
    frame section4.JPG
    171.8 KB · Views: 51
  • frame section3.JPG
    frame section3.JPG
    161.7 KB · Views: 52
  • frame repair4.JPG
    frame repair4.JPG
    182.6 KB · Views: 55
  • frame repair3.JPG
    frame repair3.JPG
    145.5 KB · Views: 57

CowboyGrin

Contributor
the circus looks like fun
Loc.
Oklahoma
A CB member (catfan) sells patch pieces for the rear body mount on his eBay site. Removes some of the guesswork and effort. Worked well in my case.

Jduke

Contributor
I am working on similar repairs, however I am going to replace the “ Tail” end of frame, how critical is that sway in the frame behind rear shock mount?, I know the rear body mount will need to be exact in all three axis. But does the repair section need that bend?

Oldtimer

Contributor
Jr. Member with Sr. moments
Loc.
Sunnyvale, CA
I would think you need body mount, leaf spring mount and bumper mounts in correct location?
And gas tank filler neck runs thru the sway on drivers side.

2023-06-10_102337.jpg

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Find a donor frame time. What’s your end state goal, usable, drivable, rebuilt, show piece?