• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

From one electronic ignition to the other...

Luke_C

Here's one that's really been bustin' my brain and I just don't know enough about these...

My '70 Bronco is running an '86 Mustang 302. 7 years or so I replaced the points with a Wells electronic ignition system. Now I'm in the midst of a rebuilt and want to junk the Wells module and controller. I think my distributor is ok, but the Wells system is long been burnt up.

I'm considering one of the drop-in distributors with the electronic modules built in. But do I need all that? Can I just pick up an electronic module, drop it in the distributor, and plug it up to the coil/ (Wiring tips there would be fantastic!)

I don't want an external controller box if I can avoid it. This is a trail truck that sees light to medium use. I'm not looking for a high output system, just something affordable that's easy to hook up and cranks the 302 when i tell it to.

Thanks for the help,

Luke

OP
OP
L

Luke_C

OK I took a good look at my Distributor. It has an '8 point' star that was installed with the Wells electronic system. I took some pictures of it, but I can't seem to post them here.

Does the Pertronix system come with the part that goes on the distributor shaft along with the pickup?

Luke

Rockin69er

OK I took a good look at my Distributor. It has an '8 point' star that was installed with the Wells electronic system. I took some pictures of it, but I can't seem to post them here.

Does the Pertronix system come with the part that goes on the distributor shaft along with the pickup?

Luke

Yes, it has a plastic cap with 8 small windows that goes over the shaft. The windows are there to let the pickup, which is magnetic, see the metal shaft. This system has very good instructions, is easier to install than points and lasts a long time. I have installed or helped with dozens of these on everthing from boats, cars, trucks and even a forklift. They will work with any coil but I have found they seem to start quicker and rev smoother with the matching coil.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
...but it's not going to fit over a Wells reluctor, if that's what's in there. Any conversion, whether from Pertronix, Mallory, Accel or whoever, is going to need to fit over the stock points type cam.
When you say "8-point star", are the star's points little short cam-lobe like thingies or longer megnetic trigger type "arms" that would run close to the Wells magnetic pickup?
I would guess that even if it's the Wells part, underneath it is still the original Ford piece? Or did you have to do any mods to the distributor when you converted it originally?

Maybe e-mail someone that pic so they can verify what you've got.

Paul

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Sounds like you have a duraspark reluctor where the old points cam used to go. I think you are correct in that the pertronix is made to upgrade points distributors and not duraspark. You can pickup an older cam at a wrecking yard cheaply and just swap them out. They're just lightly pressed on with a pin along the side of the shaft. Two big screwdrivers will pop them off.