• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Front Axle U-Joint is Broken? Need opinions

Blue71

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Broke the drivers side axle U-joint today on my stock axles (D44). Axles are fine. The stock axles have held up really well with the 35" Boggers. Question is...since I am gonna have one side torn down.....would you go ahead and upgrade axles on both sides, or just pull the one axle out and slap another u-joint in and go? Man...axle sets are high $$$. Is there any other advantage to the higher strength axles other than strength? someone told me that the joints are better in that if you do break a u-joint that they are less likely to bind up and break the ears off of the axles? Anybody?

Thanks Much,

Blue71

67EB_in_619

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego
I just did this but i broke the ujoint on both sides.. I installed the yukon chromoly axles ($299 for the set) and the yukon super joints ($240 for a pair) .. HUGE difference when you lay them next to the stock ones.. I would suggest going to at least the larger axles/ujoints with anything bigger than 33" tires... you have been on borrowed time.. thats all :)

Call Mike @ complete offroad (www.completeoffroad.com) .. he is a bronco guy and knows his stuff.. cheap shipping too!!! :)

Good luck

howiebilt

Bronco Buddah
Loc.
Newton
Go ahead and upgrade the cheap way , buy a chevy D44 short side axle at a salvage yard , put a new U-joint in it and put it in . It has the larger U-joint than the stock bronco unit and it does fit . The problem will be at the stub axle and getting the small snap ring on it . Some folks use the snap ring and use a die grinder with a cut off wheel to make a new groove so it will fit . Other folks don't bother , it's up to you . The long side (passenger ) stock bronco axle will last for a while , but eventually you'll need to upgrade and then you can spend some $$$ the long side has the length to allow it to twist or spiral as it comes into severe duty while the short side just doesn't have enough mass to allow it to twist and then , something has to give .I would also start looking into using full circle clips to hold the u-joint caps in the ears .

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
ole buddy of mine ran 40" Swampers on his 351C-powered mudbog EB for more years than I could count..with stock axles. "Axle Pat' was his nickname. He snapped two fronts and one rear in one simultaneous crack, one time I saw..I think that is a record.

He carried lots of spares, got 'em cheap, and could change them in a heartbeat...what do you want to do? This debate gets old..go cheap and carry lots of cheap spares (not implying that this is 'bad' option), or spend some coin and limit your breakage.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
I would go ahead and upgrade both. As mentioned your on borrowed time. My experience has been the opposite of that mentioned by Howie above though. I busted 4 long side axles (Twisted the splines off them) before I busted my only short side one. (Total I've busted 5 long sides and 1 short side) If someone tells you that you are less likely to damage the ears with alloy axles when the u-joints break they are wrong. My 5th. long side axle was an alloy that had the ears destroyed when the u-joint broke. I know run all alloy axles with Yukon Super Joints which have held up for almost a year. (All of the prior axle carnage occured the previous year)

Broncobowsher

Total hack
After I snapped a U-joint in a stock axle, I just did the cheapest upgrade above stock I could do. '75 blazer short side direct swap. Already had GM brakes so that snapring thing isn't an issue, it was actually a benifit. Paid a little more for the long side that was already cut to the right length. Picked them up from Driven Auto Parts (back of any Bronco Driver). Have not had any problems with those bigger U-joints.

Someday when I have more money then I know what to do with or if I snal one of these big ones I will get the fancy moly axles.

bjack

Buy Superior shafts and Longfield Super Joints. You'll be lifetime guarenteed against breakage. Just do it once and do it right.