• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Front disc brake pads that don't squeek

Show Links

Loc.
Bakersfield
I did a front disc brake conversion from Toms Bronco. If memory serves me, its the Chevy conversion. I've got approximately 1700 miles on them and they squeek consistently. Does anyone have a disc brand recommendation that they've had good experience with that don't squeek?

Thanks for any help.

Rob

muskrat

Bronco Guru
My Tom's kit squeals like crazy also. Drives me nuts.

If I remember correctly, all parts would be referenced by 74 Chevy Blazer?

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
I'm running the cheap house brand from Advance Auto. They stop my rig on a dime and no squeak in the 4 years I've had them on.

Tim

OP
OP
Show Links

Show Links

Loc.
Bakersfield
I did remove the discs last weekend and added brake grease to the appropriate parts assuming that it would help. No joy on that one. Thanks for the references. There's nothing like someone who has actual experience with a product. I'll give the Napa shoes a try and apply anti-squeel products.

Haven't seen the shims, but will explore as well.

Many thanks,

Rob

JAFO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Beaverdam
My Tom's kit squeals like crazy also. Drives me nuts.

If I remember correctly, all parts would be referenced by 74 Chevy Blazer?

I think that is correct. Maybe even up to early 80's. I have the Tom's disc brake conversion as well. But it was bought some six years ago and then due to my build taking me forever was never used until November 2015. Not any squealing yet, but I was hearing a clicking when rolling up to a stop (have 4700 miles on this braking system so far). I put the front up on jack stands and spun the wheel. Ends up the clicking is just the fact the brake pads are somewhat sloppy how they are held in place by the two pins that hold the pads in place. The rotor is sort of bumping the pad as it spins and shifts the pad and it makes a click sound. Doesn't seem to be any kind of safety issue. Just annoying.

Most modern disc pads come with shims already installed. Or maybe that is just the higher dollar pads.

JAFO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Beaverdam

JAFO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Beaverdam
One last note...you can always take your pad into the parts store and have them match it up. A knowledgeable parts guy will look at the pad and know what you need. Then buy the better pad with the shim already in place.

OP
OP
Show Links

Show Links

Loc.
Bakersfield
Good point. I'll remove pads first and then take them with me, so I know I'm getting the correct match.

Last edited:

JAFO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Beaverdam
Looking for something else I realized you can go to summitracing and plug in 1975 K5 Blazer as my search vehicle and then search on brakes. It will have lots of hits for brake pads and the like.

gnpenning

Contributor
Bronco Slave
Loc.
I have more questions than answers.
I think that is correct. Maybe even up to early 80's. I have the Tom's disc brake conversion as well. But it was bought some six years ago and then due to my build taking me forever was never used until November 2015. Not any squealing yet, but I was hearing a clicking when rolling up to a stop (have 4700 miles on this braking system so far). I put the front up on jack stands and spun the wheel. Ends up the clicking is just the fact the brake pads are somewhat sloppy how they are held in place by the two pins that hold the pads in place. The rotor is sort of bumping the pad as it spins and shifts the pad and it makes a click sound. Doesn't seem to be any kind of safety issue. Just annoying.

Most modern disc pads come with shims already installed. Or maybe that is just the higher dollar pads.

If you have a GM conversion take the out board pads, put the tabs, top and bottom in a vise and bend them just enough to get a lite press fit on the caliper. This should stop your bumping noise.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I did remove the discs last weekend and added brake grease to the appropriate parts assuming that it would help. No joy on that one...

Just to bring this point up to the forefront, so that someone more in the know than me can clear it up once and for all (as if!), as far as I know, "brake grease" is not now, nor has it ever been for reducing squealing.
In fact it's probably not a good idea for people to use it as such, in case they get too much on and it's able to work it's way around and contaminate the friction surfaces.

In recent years magazine writers and mechanics and others have promoted that, and I would not be surprised if it sometimes works. At least on setups that are not that prone to squealing on their own.
Always use a product that's specifically listed for anti-squeal duties.

And here again we can run afoul of modern attitudes in advertising, that if it's listed as such on a product from a company like Permatex, Bendix, or other long-time product company that you trust (even if it's not made here anymore) that's one thing. But if a package of brake grease from some unknown Chinese company says it's for lubricating sliding surfaces and quieting noisy brakes, I wouldn't trust it as far as I could throw it.
Not unless that fact is specified by a well known company.
Many super competitive (but ignorant) import companies tend to jump on just about any bandwagon they see that looks like it would make good text on their packaging. Without ever having done any engineering other than what they have heard others say. Not their own testing results.
After all, if they read it on the internet, it must be true.;)

Sad to say all that, as we used to have regulations about that kind of thing. Just too hard to enforce I guess.

Bottom line for me though, is that brake "grease" is for one thing only. And that's to lightly lubricate any sliding surfaces on a brake system. Things like the caliper pins/bolts on a caliper, or the sliding mounts on a Ford spec front disc setup, or the point on the backing plates that the shoes ride on, etc.
It's just high-temp grease.

For anti-squeal/rattle/squeak duties, a more traditional product specifically for that duty, and not for lubricating other parts, is what I use.

Like I said, maybe there's a definitive source of info out there, a data-sheet from one of the big players even, that will give the true lowdown. At least the department of Centric that I worked with didn't believe in grease-for-noise, but that's a big company from China too, so maybe the one American side of it was not speaking to the other Chinese arm of it, and I got wrong info. However, it went along with what I knew from before.
But things change...

Rats... Now I suppose I'm going to have to search around for that source of info myself. If someone doesn't chime in here first? Sure hope so.;D

Paul

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
I use Permatex disc brake quiet. You have to follow the directions and assemble after it sets up. Putting it on and assemble right away doesn't work too well. Look up the instruction pdf.

My Bronco is a 74 and it helps me remember to use 74 Blazer 4x4 calipers. They come in 2 different caliper piston sizes. Use the larger ones. Blazer parts I have used are spindles, calipers, brake pads, front hoses. Hose clips, banjo bolts and backing plates. Bearings, seals, rotors/hubs and 4x4 lockouts are all Ford.

OP
OP
Show Links

Show Links

Loc.
Bakersfield
Here's the stuff I used and a good case and point for Paul's point. It didn't work at all. I got careless and simply bought this product without much homework, applied to back of disc brake pads and the brakes continued to squeel. I should have used better product that actually set up and did more research.

That being said, I'm moving forward with higher quality pads and Permatex product cited above, if necessary. I called TBPs and one of the guys confirmed that pads from a 77 Chevy Blazer or a 1985 1/2 ton Chevy pick up would work. He also suggested that there are other years that might work.

Attachments

• 20160423_041546.jpg
    20160423_041546.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 9

gr8scott

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'll give the Napa shoes a try and apply anti-squeel products.

Haven't seen the shims, but will explore as well.

Many thanks,

Rob

Make sure you get the Ultra Premiums, the lower quality ones are noisy and dusty. Also, they come w/ the shims.

OP
OP
Show Links

Show Links

Loc.
Bakersfield
Update

Bought and installed Napa Ultra Premiums with Loctite anti-brake squeel (didn't have the Permatex and I didn't want to go to another store). Brake squeel improved, dramatically, but did not go away completely, so I removed rear drums and greased up rear metal to metal contact points. No more squeeking! ;D

Thanks for all your help. What I did learn is that I'll be due for a rear drum brake replacement in the near future, so now I'll be on the hunt for rear drum brakes (11 inch) kits that also don't squeek. I'll search around the forum for recommendations.

Thanks again.

Rob

Last edited: