• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Front end wider after disc brake conversion...

ENDLIFE

One late night of work a friend and his rig showed up for a disc brake conversion, and the case of Guinness made the job worth it. For anyone that has done this conversion knows it's very easy and straight forward. This morning I got a call of a problem but not a problem, he explained that the front end looked wider then the rear, but it drives perfect. Then I had to look at my rig, there it was, not by much, but my front end looked wider, as well.
I have a method for straightening front ends on Broncos and yes some Jeeps, it involves a couple of holders I machined to hold a laser in each bump stop hole, and then I center the axle to the frame. Another awesome CB member told me he had to de a rear disc conversion to get things to square up, and now comes my question....
Has anyone else had this problem, am I doing something wrong?????

TwoDalesDad

Bronco Guru
I have to go.....i now have the perfect excuse to add the disc's on back.....i will let her think that......the bronco won't be right...unless the wheels are even....ha!

TheGanzman

Loc.
San Clemente
The '74 I just bought has discs front and rear; I noticed that even on this one, the front "track" appears wider - I'll measure it when I get it here. There's not anything really wrong or dangerous about that; actually, it's a LOT more common than you think! You could always put spacers on the rear in-between the hubs and wheels...

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
My 74 had a wider front track before the disc conversion.....I found this when trying to set "toe" the NASCAR way with a string then with a long section of flat stock. Adding the disc's didn't increase it that I know of.....

Tim

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
A lot of vehicles do have wider front track widths than rear track widths. There are some handling traits that apply to the differance. I cant remember exactly what.

After I did a ford front disc swap on my 73 I noticed the differance But I believe the ford swap increases the track by about 1/2" Not sure how much or if the gm swap also does this.

DuctTape

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Bozeman, MT
A lot of vehicles do have wider front track widths than rear track widths. There are some handling traits that apply to the differance. I cant remember exactly what.

After I did a ford front disc swap on my 73 I noticed the differance But I believe the ford swap increases the track by about 1/2" Not sure how much or if the gm swap also does this.

Hmmm. Do you know what would happen to handling if rear is wider than front?

I have a d44 up front but PO swapped in a d60 from an f150 and rear is 1-2" wider. Not happy with my road handling characteristics and wondering if that is part of it.

asinor

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tulsa, OK
Hmmm. Do you know what would happen to handling if rear is wider than front?

I have a d44 up front but PO swapped in a d60 from an f150 and rear is 1-2" wider. Not happy with my road handling characteristics and wondering if that is part of it.

It could be. A wider front track than rear track decreases the weight transfer from the inside rear to outside front. For an extreme example, compare the handling of a traditional 3 wheeler (very narrow front track vs. wide rear track) vs a Can Am Spyder or T-Rex (wide front track vs. very narrow rear track). The 3 Wheeler wants to tip in a corner, while the Sypder does not. A narrower front track will want to oversteer.

My stock D30 setup appears to be 1/2 to 1" wider in the front.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru

FWIW, I just measured a few that are sitting around the shop area:

Narrowed '76 F-150 D44 and stock 9" rear in a '69: Front is 2" wider than rear

Stock '76 EB 44 and 9": Same thing...front 2" wider than the rear

Stock '68 D30 and 9": Front 1" wider than the rear.

DuctTape

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Bozeman, MT
It could be. A wider front track than rear track decreases the weight transfer from the inside rear to outside front. For an extreme example, compare the handling of a traditional 3 wheeler (very narrow front track vs. wide rear track) vs a Can Am Spyder or T-Rex (wide front track vs. very narrow rear track). The 3 Wheeler wants to tip in a corner, while the Sypder does not. A narrower front track will want to oversteer.

Sooo confused but thanks. Steering geometry should be easy but for some reason I always tie myself in knots when I try to figure it out.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
AFAIK, Ford trucks have always had a wider front track, but this says otherwise:

[QUOTE='68 Bronco Brochure]Wide 57" track for both front and rear axles[/QUOTE]

Maybe that's just marketing jargon meaning it's wider than vehicles with narrower tracks, and they're not being specific about the F/R track difference.

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have had about 10 of these things and all of them have a wider front end. Drums or Disc.

I usually put a 1" spacer on the rear to compensate. Looks better to me.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
For the most part you shouldnt see much differance in handling unless your racing or doing high speed cornering neither of which the bronco was designed for. Cant see a wider rear being all that detremental to handling after all look at dually trucks they handle fine.

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
No, no difference is steering response. Nothing negative at all.

MyOriginal66

Bronco Guru
I've been told disks push the wheels about 1/4" out further per side than drums. But that's just what I've been told%)

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
I noticed on this page from TBP that the linkage for a 66-75 with DRUMS is 48" and the 76-77 DISK is 50". I wonder if that is just for the original disk and not when we do the aftermarket conversions??

http://www.tomsbroncoparts.com/category/66-77-bronco-steering-linkage

The 76-77 Disc knuckles are different. It's not so much that the wheel mounting surface is wider but the attaching point for the tie rods on the 76-77 knuckles are farther outboard(has to do with the inverted y linkage). That is why some wheels that fit 66-75's will rub the tie rods on a 76-77 disc front end.