• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Front shock mount(s) location...

OP
OP
T

tdc_worm

Loc.
Austin
lots of good information here. most of it seems like common sense, if you take the time to think it through from a physics standpoint. thanks to those who helped me think through the "placement of dual shocks relative to the coil spring question" i was asking.

i just re-read this entire thread and still feel that i did not provoke any of chest beating that went on. i identified from the beginning that duals may not be the most functional way to go. i then asked people not to brow beat me over that. i was immediately told that duals were not the way to go, and then was insulted by being told that i am illogical in my thought process, and then the games were on. whatever.

now to be told that it is not a way to make friends around here is ridiculous. everyone, including you, 76Broncofromhell, and myself has a right to defend themselves regardless if their post count is 9 or 9000. i hope everyone can appreciate that. did i really just say defend myself regarding posting in a thread? wow, that must have sounded really gay!

as for me and 76', we have been engaged in witty banter through PMs the whole time while posting in this thread...we were just trying to fire everybody else up and get you to fire up some popcorn for no reason at all...haha, jokes on you!

Broncobowsher

Total hack
By placing the shock in front of the axle, there is more damping action. The shock in front has slightly more travel then the wheel does.

Shock behind the axle is the opposite. you get moe inches of travel out of the wheel then travel out of the shock.

Old school didn't care that much about wheel travel, so placing them in front stiffened up the ride a touch extra and was a very convienent place to mount them. Later the factory even copied it.

Today people are trying to get more travel, so mounting the shocke behind the axle gives better travel. 10" of shock travel might give 11" of wheel travel.

Just checking to see if I really did try and answer the original post. Looks like I tried.

It does get interesting watching people go off on these wierd tangents. For those we need the popcorn;D . May not be that benifictual to the original question, but just like this post, keeps the thread on top for that much longer for others to fill in. Then 4 months later someone will find it again and stir the pot again.

thesnake

Bronco Guru
lol I agree. At least no one jumped down his throat about doing a search.

John

kbldawg

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marshall, AR
If you would spend two seconds using the search feature....

hehehe, I couldn't resist ;D

I think you should run quad shocks up front, that would be sick!

welndmn

Bronco Guru
About the dual shock thing......
When I had cheap Rancho's I needed dual shock front end.
If you want a single shock front end IMO you need a quality shock like a Bilstien or a Fox.

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
How about a Chevy shock conversion?

FlySwatter.gif

onebadd73

Loc.
Moreno Valley, Ca.
Im running cage hoops and dual cage 14" shocks at each corner. I had purchased the F250 mounts and decided to go for the cool factor and run duals. I had on planned onbuying bisteins 7100's for the F250 mounts, but at $36.00 dollar a cage shock it was cheaper for me to run duals.