• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Front tow hooks

ransil

Bronco Guru
I need to add some tow hooks to my bumper.
I have the run of the mill hooks, just looking for something different/better.
What are the options out there?
What vehicle did you get them from?

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Hooks

I Work For Dodge And The 1/2 Ton Trucks Have A One Piece Hook That Is About 20 Inchs Long And About 2 Inchs Wide ..we Sell Nearly All 3/4 And 1 Tons With Use A Different Hook ...surly Some Time This Year We'll Pull One Off A 1/2 Ton ...we Have Several Of The Larger One On Ebay...or Pm Or Email Me And I'll Get You The Sight Or No. For Them ..they Are About 4x6 Inch With 4 Bolts Have About A 1/2 Circle With A"t" Like In The Center ...pa Pitt

tabascom16

Loc.
Salisbury, PA
I have some old mine car hooks that I got off my dads Bronco. I have yet to put them on but they are mean looking and quite big. I like the statement they will make

welndmn

Bronco Guru
Na, it was Rubicon from a few weeks ago. I just did not change the page titles:)
I am lazy

Fishmanndotcom

Loc.
senoia, GA
in my own opinion i'd stay far away from hooks! i have straightened out a dozen or so and i'm not talking those cheesey chrome ones you get from Autozone. actually straightened one out that came off a deuce.

even though shackles or D-rings can be a pain sometimes they are worlds safer to use. no chance of one end bending enough to allow the load to slip off. i have yanked pretty hard on my D-rings and never had a problem

http://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gallery/displayimage.php?&photoid=41244&width=0

-cutts-

74BroncoCO

Bronco Guru
longhanger02.jpg

For a clevis. This is probably the stongest way to do it. I did pull a hook off a little blazer that was about 1/2" diameter and hooked way back around so the strap didn't fall off, but I still prefer clevis'

J.D.

taxx

Loc.
Indianapolis
I'd go clevis but I had some cheby hooks and loved them. Late 80s 3/4 ton I think. They got whaled on and never bent or broke.

OP
OP
R

ransil

Bronco Guru
airman said:
I don't know where to get them but this is what I would do if I was to do it again

http://www.off-road.com/jeep/reviews/griffinrecovery/

I have something similar to these that I was going to use , but the way the tube bumper is designed i don't have many flat surfaces.

The best mounting surface on my bumper is the mounting channel next to the frame.

Attachments

• b2.jpg
    b2.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 77

MrLavender

i just want to point out that it is a bad idea to put your tow hooks on the sides, (ie mounted to the frame) because if you need to do a snap recovery you could easily bend the frame if you dont use them both. i prefer to have a single recovery point in the center. this is an old picture, but shows the front receiver mount with shackle

Attachments

• front.jpg
    front.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 73

Broncobowsher

Total hack
kirkallen143 said:
Yeah I too straightened one of those vatozone tow hooks. Anybody got a suggestion on tow hooks for a stock bumper, though?

Kirk
The stock bumper isn't stout enough to support tow hooks.
Ever consider a recivier hitch mounted to the front? Reciever hitches are so useful. I use mine for all my rear recovery, D-rings on the custom plate bumper for my front work (not what I would call a stock bumper)