• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fuel filters

ENDLIFE

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You need a 20-40 micron on the low pressure side (tank to pump) to warranty your pump. You need a 10 or less on the high pressure side (pump to injector) to prevent your injectors from getting blocked. The problem with those Russell filters is they have a disc in them about the size of a quarter which is your filter element. Yes they're easy to clean, but the surface area is so small, anything it catches will restrict your flow. Holley has some filters which are more cartridge like and have much more surface area, and Carter has some too, which are basically relabeled Areomotive which come with paper or washable metal elements. After debating this forever, I just went with $10 Napa 3033 20 micron pre and an equivalent 10 micron for post, but I also chose not to run all AN and braided steel. Went with the same set-up Holley uses for their Sniper system. except I used Nacopp with their vapor line at the ends. Just about as expensive as AN and braided steel, but easier to repair if needed. Just much easier to get parts.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rus-651670

http://www.jegs.com/i/Aeromotive/02...9juNCW4T-cPi4SsZHPfnDv9n6kTJ8qKo7UaApBL8P8HAQ

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/aei-12389

Last edited:

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
You need a 20-40 micron on the low pressure side (tank to pump) to warranty your pump. You need a 10 or less on the high pressure side (pump to injector) to prevent your injectors from getting blocked. The problem with those Russell filters is they have a disc in them about the size of a quarter which is your filter element. Yes they're easy to clean, but the surface area is so small, anything it catches will restrict your flow. Holley has some filters which are more cartridge like and have much more surface area, and Carter has some too, which are basically relabeled Areomotive which come with paper or washable metal elements. After debating this forever, I just went with $10 Napa 3033 20 micron pre and an equivalent 10 micron for post, but I also chose not to run all AN and braided steel. Went with the same set-up Holley uses for their Sniper system. except I used Nacopp with their vapor line at the ends. Just about as expensive as AN and braided steel, but easier to repair if needed. Just much easier to get parts.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rus-651670

http://www.jegs.com/i/Aeromotive/02...9juNCW4T-cPi4SsZHPfnDv9n6kTJ8qKo7UaApBL8P8HAQ

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/aei-12389

Can you reference the material that specifies a 20-40 micron pre-filter? Everything I've seen for that mentions a 100-120 micron size.

Thanks,
Todd Z.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
For the EFI side, Why not use this fitting and run an OEM ford filter/Fram replacement.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/vpe-16885?seid=srese1&gclid=CKqGlozzhswCFZSEaQodLb0JLQ

This one is a 5/16 however they make them in 3/8 as well. I'm running 3/8 on my rig.

Tim

I've seen very mixed reviews on those type of adapters and I'm not exactly certain how the plastic pieces go on/off in a reusable fashion. There seemed to be enough of a concern with them that Russell and others redesigned them to be a two-piece screw-together fitting like this:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...-performance&gclid=CMqMv6L3t9ECFZeXfgod5S8EEQ

I was originally going to use them in my system but then realized they wouldn't work on both ends of my Bosch 69100 pump because one end has a longer fitting that precludes their use.

Todd Z.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
I've seen very mixed reviews on those type of adapters and I'm not exactly certain how the plastic pieces go on/off in a reusable fashion. There seemed to be enough of a concern with them that Russell and others redesigned them to be a two-piece screw-together fitting like this:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...-performance&gclid=CMqMv6L3t9ECFZeXfgod5S8EEQ

I was originally going to use them in my system but then realized they wouldn't work on both ends of my Bosch 69100 pump because one end has a longer fitting that precludes their use.

Todd Z.

Those fittings look nice and no plastic clips to deal with.........I guess I didn't know those were around or I would have gone with them. Might upgrade to them when I change out my filter.

But still, use these fitting and run a standard fuel filter you can find anywhere. Any 5/16 filter will work. I'm sure they come in 3/8th as well.

Tim

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Can you reference the material that specifies a 20-40 micron pre-filter? Everything I've seen for that mentions a 100-120 micron size.

Thanks,
Todd Z.

It's complicated but I'll do my best. I've spent the last 3 days trying to design this system (2 tanks) and have talked with a lot of people. I'm using the set-up Holley sells for their Sniper, but I sourced it independently. Thus I'm using a Walbro GSL392. The independent retailer I used for Walbro states on their website 20-40 Microns pre pump because Walbro has you send your pump AND filter back for warranty claims and if it turns out you used the wrong filter, they'll deny. I called Jeff (the product manager) at Peterson Co (US Walbro wholesaler distributor) and he says it's not so clear cut. They officially VERBALLY recommend 40-100 microns, but prefer 20-40. It's not published anywhere. My retailer says 20-40 because he's never had a problem with a warranty claim if you're using that size. So I went with what my retailer said to use. No difference in cost.

For the Bosch 044 or 69100 it's a similar story with slightly different numbers. No published rule except using a pre-filter. Retailers suggest 40-100 microns, but if you have a warranty claim, you must send your filter with the pump. What they told me is they've had claims rejected by Bosch because it wasn't a maximum of 40 microns and some accepted that were 100 microns.

It seems like the manufacturers like to keep it a grey area to give them more leeway to deny claims.

While it sounds like simply being bully corporations, Walbro told me 98% of pumps sent back weren't defective. It's a clogged fuel filter that's the problem. So they make you now PAY $40 to test it. If it's a faulty pump, you get a new pump and your $40 back. This has cut the number of pumps sent in, but even the ones now sent in STILL mostly have no problem with the pump.

Your 69100 is a standard pump used on millions of cars from the factory. They come with 100 micron from the factory.

Are you dizzy now? So I'm running an entirely new fuel system. I didn't want to restrict fuel flow with something too small, but I didn't want to have a problem with warranty. So 20 microns was what they said. They said with my set-up even 40 would be OK since the chance of dirt in a new system is limited. With an older system, 70-100 is acceptable since you'll have more of a chance of rust and dirt (bigger sized particles), but then it's a grey area on warranty. If your filter gets clogged and starves the pump, no warranty.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Cool, thanks for all that info. Glad to see that others obsess and think about this stuff as much as I do :).

Yeah, I've used the 69100 pump (85-89 Ford truck EFI apps and others) for 20 years now without issue and 130k miles but I'm redoing my fuel lines, routing, etc. and going with an 044 pump.

Todd Z.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Cool, thanks for all that info. Glad to see that others obsess and think about this stuff as much as I do :).

Yeah, I've used the 69100 pump (85-89 Ford truck EFI apps and others) for 20 years now without issue and 130k miles but I'm redoing my fuel lines, routing, etc. and going with an 044 pump.

Todd Z.

Yes thanks for that info as well. Very timely!

So I am doing a EFI conversion on a single factory rear tank 77EB. 1st time using an external pump.

So the recommendation is to use:

A Bosch pump #69100 or equivalent (85-89 ford truck)

With a Wix/NAPA prefilter 33033/3033 rated at 20 microns.

And a standard Wix 33097 Mustang filter that is rated at 10 microns.

So how did you adapt down (cleanly) from the 3/8 hose tank outlet through the Wix prefilter to the 5/16 inlet on the pump?

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
So how did you adapt down (cleanly) from the 3/8 hose tank outlet through the Wix prefilter to the 5/16 inlet on the pump?

I can't speak for the Wix prefilter (seems pretty straightforward) but when I did mine years ago I used the OEM Ford duckbill connectors to adapt the 3/8" line to the pump and filter. Rubber EFI line attached with EFI hose clamps. I don't believe the fittings are available from Ford anymore but I think Dorman still sells them.

Todd Z.

OP
OP
C

crawler73

I'm running -6AN line from the high pressure pump to motor so this is the set up I'm going to use After hearing everyone's thoughts

Filter is rated at 4 microns

Attachments

• IMG_1844.jpg
    IMG_1844.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_1845.jpg
    IMG_1845.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 62

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
If you want the pushlock filter rather than screw type for 3/8th - 6AN
Summit Racing Part Number:TNK-FF-10

I'm running it

Tim

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
I can't speak for the Wix prefilter (seems pretty straightforward) but when I did mine years ago I used the OEM Ford duckbill connectors to adapt the 3/8" line to the pump and filter. Rubber EFI line attached with EFI hose clamps. I don't believe the fittings are available from Ford anymore but I think Dorman still sells them.

Todd Z.

Damn Todd, I am an idiot %) I did not even think of that, DUH!

I have used those fittings on the two Explorer EFI conversions that I have done, The low pressure needs just did not correlate to the high pressure parts.

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
I use a GM application fuel filter and screw-in "O-ring Bump" adapter fittings.
These fittings: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ear-991955erl
ear-991955erl_ml.jpg

This filter: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wix-33481
Filter details: http://wixfilters.com/Lookup/PartDetails.aspx?Part=160330
WIX-33481_ml.jpg

These filters are everywhere and inexpensive to get. I even run them on one of my carbed vehicles.

Last edited:

66broncoCT

Contributor
Loc.
Torrington, CT
I'm using the same setup as ntsqd. Can get filters anywhere and they're cheap enough I usually replace them with every oil change.

SurfCityEB66

Contributor
Great info in this thread, I'm in the middle of EFI conversion and this is perfect timing!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Bumping this back up...

I need to go from 3/8 fuel hose down to the Ford 5/16 duck bill connector on my external fuel pump.

I am having no luck finding this connector... Ford has been useless unless I supply a number...

Picture below gives an example: 3/8" hose-From sending unit, to pre filter, then to pump which is set up for 5/16" (8mm) duckbill connector.

Attachments

• External Fuel pump picture.jpg
    External Fuel pump picture.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 44