• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fuel tank selector rebuild?

Keith W.

Howdy. First ever thread. Would like opinions if existing original fuel selector valve/switch on 73 Bronco Sport can be rebuilt with new guts. Cannot find any Bronco company that recognizes the 6 port to replace. Thanks.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
the standard 3 port the cap can be unscrewed and o-ring replaced the 6 port I dont know never had one in my hand.

OP
OP
K

Keith W.

Afternoon. When switching tanks the lever broke something inside the selector valve not allowing to switch tanks. Not leaking just busted. I do not want to wire or replumb hoses for different valve. I purchased 3 port replacement before looking at my selector more carefully finding 6 ports. I can’t figure which tank valve is stuck on but still runs. Suggestions who rebuilds these? Thanks.

NateMob

I have one out of a 74 that I wont be using if that helps. Worked before I pulled the Aux tank to install long arms.

Good Luck.

OP
OP
K

Keith W.

Thanks Nate. To confirm does your selector valve have the ports with solid tubes not screw in fittings and angled toward the rear where the fuel lines slip over each tube? I will be removing today and disassembling to assess probable damage. Some aviation guys use similar valve complaining lever started to become harder to turn with time. They cleaned and lubed to work better. Please hold that valve for me. Much thanks.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The 6-port valve is a unicorn. Only used one year. No service parts remain.
Normally the failure is a leak. Take it apart, replace the O-rings, put back in service, Since you had something break inside that is a whole new game. You might be lucky and it is just the handle that stripped out on the shaft. If not, you need to find a good used valve. Look at the Bronco salvage yards, places like Driven Auto Parts in Phoenix. Pretty sure that is a Bronco specific part as well. It is the only place I have seen a 6-port mechanical valve.

B-man

I think I still have my switch if needed. I am not using it. Came off of my 73 when I got rid of the aux tank and put a 23 gallon in the rear.

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Mine turns about 60 degrees. I just quickly tried to unscrew the shaft nut but it needs heat to move it. No idea if that's working or not. I'm sure it leaks as it's been sitting since 1989 but if you're interested PM me.

Attachments

• port.jpg
    port.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 29

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And welcome to classicbroncos too Keith!
I used the electric switching valve version of that. Six ports, but got rid of the leaky 3-port valve on my '71 because I wanted to add return lines.
So if you're not doing a religious restoration and don't mind going electric, that's an option.

But it is cool to keep original stuff especially when it's an oddity like that one.
Is yours still functional too? You have the return manifold thingy up near the carburetor where the two lines split?

And by the way, while we're on the subject of '73 Broncos... Does your VIN have a "P" or a "Q" in the sixth position? If so, check out Viperwolf1's thread about "minding your p's and q's" and add your info to the mix.

Good luck. Definitely keep us posted when you find out what's wrong, and if it can be fixed.

Paul

OP
OP
K

Keith W.

So, finally took selector valve apart and metal chunks fell out. Terminal. I would like to take advantage of the chance to take b-man’s selector from his 73 off his hands. My 73 likes OEM parts. NOTE: you Bronco guys are alright. Thanks for the help!