• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Full manual 4r70w

jonpblewis@yaho

Loc.
San Diego, CA
I have some questions about using a 4r70w I have. I don't want to have to deal with an after market controller so can I convert it to a full manual with no computer? I can't find a lot of feedback about it but Transgo makes their AODE-3 kit that you install into the stock VB. I think this deletes the need for a EC. I know it puts overdrive on a switch and it's full manual operation. Do you somehow just provide power to the transmission's Harness for the servos and splice in a OD toggle switch on the steering wheel? I don't know about converter lockup control or transbrake either?
Any thoughts about how this would work?

Last edited:
OP
OP
jonpblewis@yaho

jonpblewis@yaho

Loc.
San Diego, CA
I don't know about that. I've been looking into it some more. The price is right ($220) and it seems kinda cool.
The install looks like a snap. I watched a install video here.
I also read this from a guy in a post on another forum.
I just did this kit on a 1995 AODE for my 1994 single turbo mustang. It worked great,
As for the kit I have a few tranny builds under my belt took me about 2 hours or so on the bench and I took my time to make sure I did it right..
I also called and talked to the guys on the tech line about the kit and got some info on how to keep the "lock-up" function you just leave the tight wound spring out of the lockup valve and wire it up and you can control it with a toggle just like 4th gear. Also If you do keep the lock-up it will NOT lock in 1st gear it will only lock in 2-4 which would let you use a really high stall to leave the line with and when you make the gear change to 2nd it would lock solid and pull like a freight train! ASK ME HOW I KNOW!!!

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Mustang advise for drag racing transmissions is generally bad advise for a 4WD bronco. Two completely different sets of needs.

u10072

Bronco Guru
What about the AOD with the 4r70w guts that doesn't use a computer?

pbwcr

Been told the 700r4 meets your desires. It also has a lower 1st gear.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Looks like the perfect solution to me - get yourself a ratchet shifter and have fun banging gears. Looks like it takes a little work to install, but it does everything we want it to.

So what if you got some reviews from drag racing folks - if it works on the race track it will work fine off road, this isn't a cam shaft or cylinder heads, its a fucking manual valve body transmission kit... What do lots of people do with their automatics when four wheeling? They put full reverse manual valve bodies in them so they can easily and quickly select gears...

Looks like a winner to me - I didn't realize these kits existed, makes the 4R a even tastier swap...

OP
OP
jonpblewis@yaho

jonpblewis@yaho

Loc.
San Diego, CA
No shit.. That's what I'm thinking KyleQ. I haven't found any info that tells me this wouldn't work just fine in the EB
. On the contrary it seems like it'll kick ass.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
No shit.. That's what I'm thinking KyleQ. I haven't found any info that tells me this wouldn't work just fine in the EB
. On the contrary it seems like it'll kick ass.

Yeah - with a push button lockup option in ANY gear you can engine brake with it too. I love my 4R70W in my pickup - its an awesome transmission. I wouldn't hesitate to try this -

u10072

Bronco Guru
what about this: http://www.transmissioncenter.net/aode.htm I think regardless of how the cat is skinned -- its going to cost $2k to put a OD trans in an EB and that's the owner doing the work. As far as the full manual part goes I cant think of why a full manual valvebody that's build for a 700hp drag car is bad for a 400hp EB-- its the stall that you need to watch-- and a 3000 stall would obviously not be optimum. A good torque converter builder can build a stout low rpm converter as a high.

OP
OP
jonpblewis@yaho

jonpblewis@yaho

Loc.
San Diego, CA
u10072, Nice link. Thanks.
Your right abut the TC being the key to the functionality of this setup.
It looks like doing the work myself I'd be into this upgrade for about $1,300 maybe a couple hundred more by the time its all over. Fingers crossed. We'll see.

Last edited:

Rox Crusher

Bronco Guru
I did my 4R70w swap for 1,800 +\-

250 for used trans
300 for rebuild kit
150 for tc
450 for adapter
120 for cross member
550 for controller

Doesn't in led pending costs to re-gear

u10072

Bronco Guru
With Rox crusher numbers-- the link I sent-- I btw know nothing about that trans-- he paid $1400 for the trans and another $450 for the adapter- that other trans I thought was $2300. Just really depends on your financials whether $1000 is a lot of money to you or not.

OP
OP
jonpblewis@yaho

jonpblewis@yaho

Loc.
San Diego, CA
Lately a $1000 is real money for me. Hey Rox what adapter did you use? The AA adapter I'm looking at lists for $600+ So how bout letting me in on the $450 adapter secret

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Since a 4R70W has the line pressure controlled by the computer and you are looking at ditching the computer for the full manual conversion...
How is the line pressure controlled?

For drag racing just running full pressure all the time works fine. There is no concern for part throttle shift quality. Running full line pressure adds to the heat in the transmission as well.

But if all you want if full manual control without a computer and don't care about line pressure, you can do the same thing with a couple of toggle switches and never open the transmission. Just cycle the shift solenoids yourself. Slightly fancier would be to use a 2-pole, 4-position (or more and ignore the extra) rotary switch and you can turn a knob to get the forward gear of choice. If you can find a 3-pole 8-position switch you could cycle through all the gear and convertor lockup combinations with the twist of a wrist.

The only reason I have never wasted my time with this is there is no way to control line pressure. Without line pressure control you chirp the tires on every part throttle gear change and have jerky, neck snapping shifts. If you play with the valve body to bring the line pressure down for acceptable part throttle shifts there isn't enough line pressure to hold the clutches at full throttle. So for racing that doesn't matter, for off-road and street use it does.

But it sounds like you are bound and determined to use it anyway. After it is done let us know how it turned out.

Rox Crusher

Bronco Guru
Lately a $1000 is real money for me. Hey Rox what adapter did you use? The AA adapter I'm looking at lists for $600+ So how bout letting me in on the $450 adapter secret

I got a smokin deal on the AA adapter and the Bauman controller (mass buy)

broncoman1972

Bronco Guru
I had complete 4r70w internals in an AOD case I ran in one of my cars.. Rated at 950hp, and was the best auto I ever had. Give this guy a shout, he can answer any of your ford auto questions :

Dan Gilsdorf :
http://www.silverfoxtrans.com/silverfoxtrans.com/Home.html

After looking at this website, I think I have decided to back my Explorer 5.0 with the 4r with a manual VB. I contacted Dan with some questions about his reverse pattern vb (which the site says will be available soon). They are available but don't have engine braking in 2nd. He is working on correcting that. Once one's available I'm getting it. Cost is up there a bit, but I like my reverse pattern and no one else makes them so it is what it is.