• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

full size narrowing

OP
OP
methcat

methcat

Loc.
long beach
So, maybe I'm missing something here. What advantages are you trying to gain by using the full width and cutting it down? Can you not find an eh width 9"?

so, i want a few things. i have a SB 28 spline now, i have a nodular 31 spline 3rd sitting ready for an install, instead of getting the new, 31 spline axles with the adapters only to go down to small bearing, i want to go to a BB housing ad 31 splines at the same time. while big bearing EB aren't that hard to find, the 77's with the fishmouth center section are, and most times they don't even have brakes.
so, if i take a wide and cut it down with this method, i only pay $140 for a complete rear, with brakes and axles at the pick your part. and by doing the above mentioned drivers side only axle trick, i only have to pay to cut one side down, and i still am using "off the shelf" axles. it's about $100 for the axle and $70 to respline one axle. for about 350 after seals and bearings if they need replacing, i have the best housing, big brakes, and axles.... i don't really care how wide they are.
obviously better if i could find a 77 BB ready to go with brakes, i just got tired of waiting.