• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Full width Axle

Yellow_66

Loc.
Hollister, CA
For the people running full width axles under their Broncos; is it worth doing and have you had problems with the width being too much for narrower trails? I like to do trail rides as well as open areas and rocks but I don't want to limit my wheeling locations. Thanks for the time.

broncoslayer

Loc.
Hollister
Yellow_66 said:
For the people running full width axles under their Broncos; is it worth doing and have you had problems with the width being too much for narrower trails? I like to do trail rides as well as open areas and rocks but I don't want to limit my wheeling locations. Thanks for the time.

why waste your time? How often does your rig leave your garage anyway? %)

68 Broncoholic

Bronco Guru
Loc.
WA
Thats a tough qustion to answer cause it all depends on your wheeling locations. Most trails out here in WA seem to be built by Heeps so some trails get very tight with full width axles. I haven't found a trail that I couln't get thru where a stock width bronco could.
I like full with for stability and extra flex gains. Tight trails do make it challenging but most times you can manouver thru. In trees you might have to go past at 45* and turn the wheel to let one tire get thru first. What I've noticed is full body size rigs have a tough time as the upper area thats wallowing around is so huge, you can't fit. Our narrower Broncos with full width go right thru with no problems. Once you know your wheeling areas and what you like to do with your rig, you'll know.

crawln68

Bronco Guru
I love my full width axles! The extra width saved my a$$ from rolling over just yesterday. :eek:

I wheel on a lot of tight trails too that were cut by Heeps back in the day, and as stated above, there is always a way to get through or around. Sometimes you just have to try a couple of different lines to figure out how to get through. I think that the full width axles on our narrow bodies makes a nice combination. The extra width has saved my front fenders and rear quarters from being smashed in a few times too.