• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Full width or not?

WLDSTALLION

Looking for some advise. I've got a 69 with a drum 30 up front and was looking at upgrading to a disk dana 44. I can find a full width one fairly easy but not many narrow ones. I daily drive it about 70% of the time and 30% at the dunes or in hay fields, no rocks. Would the full width handle better or is it a waist. I am a decent mechanic guy, so fab work does not scare me. Also I know I am newbie and I searched alot but most info is for trail and rocks not flatlanders like me.
Thanks Brad

bigblock52

Loc.
murrieta
I'm subscribing... I have 1 ton super duty axles and lately have been thinking about how good rockwells would look under mine. stuck with the turd dana 30 still like yours.

RT

Bronco Guru
I did the full width thing , and found many more pro's than con's . I drive mine daily , and wheel every chance I get .

I'd do it again . But there is something to be said about the stock width , the appearance , tight spots , originality , etc . It could get to someone who likes to stick to how it came originally.

gearhead74

Loc.
Tri-Cities, WA
I did a '76 F150 axle swap, front and rear, under my '74 Bronco. Love the extra width. I'm 80% street, 20% wheelin, 4.88 arb/spool, 35" Swampers. Love the stability in the sand and taking corners at high speed. Definitely trust the extra stability/width and noticed a difference. Built a custom lower Trac bar mount, BulletProof tie rod over knuckle steering set up, draglink and Trac bar are parallel. I would recommend it. Disc Brakes, possibly larger axle shafts, high pinion, and track width are all plus's. Stock spare axles are easy to find as well.

OP
OP
W

WLDSTALLION

If I go full width will the diff clear the oil pan better since it will be moved a little towards the driver side?

mavereq

Bronco Guru
it should but then you can run into problems with it hitting the frame or the exhaust. if you are going to run at least 4.5" suspension lift and short/mid headers then you should be good.

68ford

Bronco Guru
exhaust is the biggest issue. no oil pan issues anymore and the frame is far away as well. no pinion issues either.
if you worried about looks, run 7in wheel with extra backspacing and you will probably end up very close to most broncos with 10in wide rims and puffy looking tires.