• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fun with 408

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Nice Lars! Congrats on getting it dialed in.
How are you liking the gear ratios and the lack of a third pedal so far?
Are you still running those Spin Tech mufflers?

fordfan

Bronco Guru
I didn't know if it was taking off or landing for a second!....:LOL: Thanks for sharing that music!

OP
OP
lars

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
Thanks all!
@DirtDonk so far ratios seem fine, which doesn't surprise me because they are similar to what 2-5 were in my NV4500. Shift points need to be raised a bit, as I was warned by the transmission rebuilder, and they are a little soft. Will deal with that when I better learn my way around Binary Editor (I'm running a reflashed Explorer PCM).

Exhaust is BCB shorties with 1-5/8" primaries, then 2-1/2" to a Flowmaster merge that goes to single 3-1/2". Muffler is a 3-1/2" in-out Flowmaster FlowFX. Loud. Then it drops to 3" over the axle and out behind the right rear wheel.

EFI Guy

Sponsor/Vendor
TheEFIguy@gmail
Loc.
BFE
That sounds healthy! You couldn't ask for a better place to datalog WOT pulls!
Download Forscan on your laptop and use your current flashing cable with it. Look at generic vehicle speed under OBD2 and compare that with GPS on your phone. It might be as easy as a single tweak rather than messing with all of the shift points.

hsach

Contributor
Members Only
That sounds fantastic! I keep looking at Blueprint because it is tough to find someone here to build one in the next century. If they would put a 4R70W behind the 408, I probably would have bought one already. I did ask them, and they said "no". Not sure why since they sell them with other engines as a package.

OP
OP
lars

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
That sounds healthy! You couldn't ask for a better place to datalog WOT pulls!
Download Forscan on your laptop and use your current flashing cable with it. Look at generic vehicle speed under OBD2 and compare that with GPS on your phone. It might be as easy as a single tweak rather than messing with all of the shift points.
Will do! Unfortunately my calendar is once again filled with obligations and especially medical appointments for the next few weeks. Including (yet another) hand surgery that's going to have me on the ropes for at least two weeks. Never let that sort of thing stop me but it does slow me down a bit, despite what you see in the video. Lol...

Last edited:

ksagis

Contributor
Aspiring Bronco Guru
<wiping off drool>

Great video, looks and sounds great - thanks for sharing!

bfoldy

Contributor
Loc.
Torrance, CA
Wow! That sounds so great! Thanks for posting the video. I need to look for your prior posts on the build up, but I’m assuming it’s fuel injected given Garry’s post? 500 HP at least, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
lars

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
Wow! That sounds so great! Thanks for posting the video. I need to look for your prior posts on the build up, but I’m assuming it’s fuel injected given Garry’s post? 500 HP at least, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've posted a bit about it but not for some time, and almost nothing about the 4R70W swap. Once I'm done sorting out the bugs I'll write something. It's a Blueprint 408. On their dyno it made 474HP @ 5700 & 522 ft-lb @ 4000. Big numbers but plenty on here with engines making more than that. And It's probably strangled in my install due to both intake (Trick Flow R) and exhaust. Still fun though.

Oh yeah, injected using a reflashed Explorer PCM, with advice from Garry.