• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

gas milage?

Dr. Awsome

Loc.
Provo
I just have aplain and simple question. I just want to know what kind of milage people are getting whit there rigs. I want to know what's going to get better milage between the 302, 351, and the 408 as well as what kind of milage. Thanks fo the help.

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
%) %) %) My 66 with the 351W get's a good 10 mpg, My old 68 (sold in 75)with a 289 and 500 cfm holly also got 10 mpg. The race bronco gets about 4 mpg. But they wernt built for milage. They are my toys and built to play and have fun with. I don't owne a car that get's good gas milage all 5 are 4x4 the wifes sport trac get's the best but it is only a 6. ;D ;D ;D Bill :p %) :cool:

Skuzzlebutt

PhD, Dr. of Broncology
Loc.
Honeymoon Bay
I was getting 16mpg hwy with a mild 302, 31x10.5 tires, 3.50 gears, and a stock carb. I haven't checked it in prolly five years tho.

Last edited:

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
My closeset estimate is somewhere around 15 MPG on the highway. Off road is considerably less. Towing and city driving probably drops a few MPG as well.
96 F350 5.8 EFI w/Mustang MAF ECM pushing 37" Iroks. The 302 that was in it when I bought it got about 10 MPG and the 5.0 EFI motor I first swapped in was getting somewhere around 13 MPG.

72bronco

Bronco Guru
This has been covered many times before in other threads. Anyway, my 302 with an edelbrock carb, C4 auto, 33"x12.5" tires w/3.50 gears gets 10 mpg. I'm going to be converting to fuel injection soon and I'm curious what, if any, mileage improvement I'll get.

Buckin74

Loc.
San Diego
Lets see " 392 stroker -- 450 HP ---- 450 ft lbs torque ----

I rate it as "gallons to the mile" ----

Gas milage --- sucks

Driving it ----- "PRICELESS"

Socal Tom

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego, CA
I've got a fuel injected 5.0 and with 3.73s and 33s I would get 10 to 12. The best I ever measured was 14, but that was pretty much all highway. EFI probably won't change your street mileage much. Of the road though, the carb guys burn about twice as much fuel on the trail as the efi guys. I think it's due to the more effecient idleing. I burn about a gallon an hour off road.
Tom

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
302, TFS heads, eldebrock 289 torquer manifold, holley 600, Crane RV cam 266 dur. hooker headers, NP435 3.50 gears 33in tires 13-15 mpg just depends on which way the wind is blowing although I might be able to pick up 1-2mpg if I swapped out my single plane manifold for a dual plane.

Nuke

289 Stock: 12 MPG

There is someone here who get 18 MPG with a 351 W EFI and a ZF5 if I remember right.

rustbucket

Bronco Guru
I get about 17-18 on the highway with my '94 5.8L with GT-40 intake and mass air conversion. I'm running 33" BFG AT's, 4.11's and a C4.

Jamers

Loc.
Van,BC,Canada
If I don't drive with a heavy foot, I can get 20-22 mpg. Run a '93 5.0L EFI roller w/ 33's and a stock 3spd, 3.50's.

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
This has been covered many, many times. Try doing a search on it for more detailed responses.

A 408 is going to land you 10 mpg, oh yeah that's not combined average. That's not city either; that's FREEWAY mileage. City MPG is down in the 6-8mpg. If you build a 408 stroker, you definitely leave "Fuel Economy" out of the equation. Wasn't this covered in the Diesel thread too?

mxpaz

Bronco Guru
Loc.
KC
Not sure of MPG, but I can normally wheel all day with a tank of gas. So I am about 1 mpg if Im lucky. :)

tabascom16

Loc.
Salisbury, PA
It really depends on your driving style and choice of cam. I was running a 351W 60 over with a 216 duration cam that ran pretty good and was getting about 15mpg on long trips and about 12 or so around town. I live around a lot of hills and have no overdrive so thats still doing pretty good. I'm looking to build a 408 with about the same cam specs and expect to maybe get just slightly less mpg. If you run your engine hard it sucks in a lot more gas and is not greatly efficient at burning it. With a 408 you can run it nice and easy and it will get good use of the fuel. You read some posts and some people running 408's get just as good gas mileage as a 302 because you dont have to push it so hard. Im sure some will agree with me on this. Now obviously if you get a bigger cam it will bring in more fuel on each stroke and not be very efficient in using it (hence why high end cams wont pass a sniffer test). If your going to worry excessively about gas mileage dont drive a Bronco! I hate when people say that their car is a gas hog because they only get about 20mpg around town!!! I sort of feel the fuel injection thing is over rated too. A good carb that is the right size and properly tuned is probably equally as good and for something like a 408 is way more economical than fuel injection.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
tabascom16 said:
It really depends on your driving style and choice of cam. I was running a 351W 60 over with a 216 duration cam that ran pretty good and was getting about 15mpg on long trips and about 12 or so around town. I live around a lot of hills and have no overdrive so thats still doing pretty good. I'm looking to build a 408 with about the same cam specs and expect to maybe get just slightly less mpg. If you run your engine hard it sucks in a lot more gas and is not greatly efficient at burning it. With a 408 you can run it nice and easy and it will get good use of the fuel. You read some posts and some people running 408's get just as good gas mileage as a 302 because you dont have to push it so hard. Im sure some will agree with me on this. Now obviously if you get a bigger cam it will bring in more fuel on each stroke and not be very efficient in using it (hence why high end cams wont pass a sniffer test). If your going to worry excessively about gas mileage dont drive a Bronco! I hate when people say that their car is a gas hog because they only get about 20mpg around town!!! I sort of feel the fuel injection thing is over rated too. A good carb that is the right size and properly tuned is probably equally as good and for something like a 408 is way more economical than fuel injection.
Your correct for the most part. Driving style is probably the top item here that will effect it for most. There are cases as mentioned when more cubes will get bettter mileage. Especially when the smaller engines need to work harder to get moving. Often times gearing will make a big difference there though. I disagree regarding fuel injection though. The only way for a carb to match it would be to constantly tune it. (Assuming both are properly matched to the engine) Better gas mileage is only a secondary benefit to having fuel injection and I doubt that more than a small handful of us put it on for such. Most of us (Myself included) did so because carbs can't match the performance of EFI off road.

Keoni

Loc.
Newport News, Va
Some of those MPG are not too bad. My 170 six gets about 17 in town and with my 4.56 gears making it wind out, only about 15 on the highway.

teqoso

Loc.
walnut creek,ca
I think I get around 18-24 mpg with my current setup. I am trying to tune her up right now, and dial her in just perfect so I can maximize for everything. I am running a 93 5.0 GT with a AOD and 4.11 gearing. It also helps that around town I have a set of SSR 32(33 actually) that I run around on, and a set of 37 for the trails.

broncoswede61

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Los Angeles,CA
Years ago when mine was a daily driver and I had an 80 mile roundtrip I was getting 18 on average.That was with a freshly rebuilt 302,stock 2bbl.,mild cam,K&N air filter,dual flowmasters,Jacobs Milage Master ignition,riding on 32x11's with 3.50 gears and a stock 3 speed....and with no hard top.I now have a hardtop and I know that it has cut into my mpg.