• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Gas, Propane, Biodiesel, Other ?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
As far as whether or not its economical to do the EFI swap. In the past, it wasnt something you could really get your money back on...you did it for the wow, the function and or the performance. However, with gas now at $3.25-3.50 a gallon, it is worth the time and $ to do the swap. A Bronco getting 10 mpg that can increase its economy to 13 or 14 mpg, which is realistic, is saving 30-40% at $3.25 a gallon thats at almost a buck per 10 miles. Figure in a DD that you run 10K miles a year...this is a conservative #. Thats 1000 gallons/yr at 10 mpg for a cost of $3250. If you can get 13.5 mpg (35% gain in economy) then for the same 10K miles==>741 gallons @ $2407. Thats a realistic savings of $842 in one yr alone. If you source you parts right you can have it paid for in less than 18 months. As the cost of fuel continues to rise, you will realize the savings/investment even sooner. Alot of it will depend on driving style, however, if your a lead foot and a play-boy with the throttle you are going to spend more on fuel--carb or EFI...which is why many of us get 10-12 mpg in these anyway. An AOD or OD will also help on the highway. Mostly, you should do something b/c it makes you happy. I look at my current stage of Bronco ownership as a 'recycling' effort. I am trying to update the truck as much as possible and increase its overall functionality as a driver, a wheeler and as much as possible for economy. There are better choices than a Bronco if you want to save the world and yourself some cash, but not much better if you want to see it along the way...and maybe, just maybe have a little fun.

John

I can agree here. EFI just constantly tunes the engine but if your carbed engine is properly tuned you can go from a low of 10-12 to 15mpg+ there are a few guys running carbs that get 17mpg or more. but EFI swaps are becoming cheaper.

Dave

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It warms my heart to see the thought and analysis going into some of these conversion efforts. You have to dig pretty deep to get the facts and sort through the intentional obfuscation. I get very annoyed when some California celeb is getting kudos for being "green" by driving an electric or hydrogen powered car. The facts are that the production of hydrogen and electricity are producing more CO2 at the source (coal power plant) than an efficient gas car would produce. Out of sight, out of mind. Get the facts and do the math! Dave...